Topic: 1950 v8 valve removal

rick50    -- 11-12-2014 @ 11:27 AM
  I'm having trouble trying to remove an intake valve from my '50. I have compressed the valve spring down away from the retainer. I'm unable to remove the retainer. The slot in that accepts the retainer is recessed into the block. Should I be able to move the valve guide down towards the lifter? Im using my door hinge spring tool to compress the valve spring so there is no valve spring tension on the valve. Any advice is appreciated.

51f1    -- 11-13-2014 @ 12:30 PM
  Compress the spring toward the valve locks (the valve stem). You should be able to pull the retainer out. When you are working with flathead valves, sometimes things get a little stuck after years of use.

Richard

40cpe    -- 11-13-2014 @ 7:48 PM
  Use your spring tool to lift the bottom of the spring toward the valve head. This will take the pressure off the bell shaped retainer that holds the locks on the stem. Raise the bell a little and flick the locks off. This will release the valve so it can be pulled out of the guide. If you need the guide out now you can take an appropriate size socket and hammer and drive it down into the valley.

JM    -- 11-13-2014 @ 8:02 PM
  I have never had much success at "easily" removing flathead valve assemblies on engines that have seen a lot of running time. This is especially true of the early valves with mushroom stem ends.
I usually compress the springs with a valve spring compressor (the pickle fork bars rarely work well for me) and then tap the guide down just enough to allow the "crows foot" retainer to be pulled out of the groove in the guide. Then I release the spring and pull the assembly out through the top of the deck.
Removing just the valve from the later straight stem valves is a bit easier. Compressing the spring and removing the retainers on the end of the valve stem will allow just the valve to be pulled straight out of the block.
John

This message was edited by JM on 11-13-14 @ 8:23 PM

supereal    -- 11-13-2014 @ 8:33 PM
  Buy or borrow a valve spring compressor. Trying to pry up the spring and hold it fully compressed to pull the retainer is a tough job in a clean engine, a will expand your vocabulary. With mushroom valves, you may have to cut off the valve head to get it out so you can drive the guide down and out. It should be easier with your straight stem '50 and one piece guides.

rick50    -- 11-14-2014 @ 3:30 AM
  Thanks for the information. I think it will be necessary to remove the valve first and then remove the guide. The engine was rebuilt 30 years ago. It is does not have a lot of sludge.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7911