Topic: 47 Ford ignition and door locks

cknudsen7    -- 11-07-2014 @ 1:04 PM
  I want to use the original ignition and door looks in the restoration of my 47 Ford Sedan Coupe. However, they either won't unlock or are difficult to unlock. I have soaked them in WD40 and had new keys made based on the code on the locks which did not help. Does anyone know if there are instructions some place on how to disassemble Hurd locks to clean and replace the springs and pins?

Drbrown    -- 11-07-2014 @ 7:11 PM
  I think easiest and quickest solution is for you to show your lock cylinders to a local experienced lock master/repairman and see what he recommends. Typically, dry graphite powder is best for lubricating lock cylinders.

supereal    -- 11-09-2014 @ 1:36 PM
  Using anything other than lock lubricant will usually cause the lock pins and springs to jam. The only "fix" is to disassemble and clean the parts. A locksmith is your best bet unless you have done the job before. No liquid lube should ever be used. Removing the locks can be a tough job, itself, requiring drilling and pulling the "breakoff pin" for the ignition, part number 68-3729. If you buy a new lock cylinder from C&G ($18) the pin comes with it. The door lock is easier, requiring removal of the garnish and trim to get at the lock clip. There are several styles of door locks. You can see them in the online catalog at www.cgfordparts.com. It is likely replacement will be less expensive than the locksmith.

cknudsen7    -- 11-10-2014 @ 1:06 PM
  Thanks for the response. However, Using a third party lock cylinder is not an option for a show car. It must be a Hurd lock with a Hurd key. I've tried local locksmiths but they have no clue how to disassemble the cylinder of a lock this old.

cliftford    -- 11-10-2014 @ 4:52 PM
  ON my '48 as well as on the '46 I once had, the door locks went into a hole in a casting inside the door and were held in place by an allen set screw accessible through a hole in the rear edge of the door. Usually this screw is stuck and is impossible to remove. It may be bet
ter to have a locksmith rekey the lock, for about $50. about the only other option would be to drill out the old lock, but there again you still have the stuck set screw to deal with. Good luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7898