Topic: 40 heater motor demensions

Dave in WY    -- 11-05-2014 @ 11:29 PM
  Can anyone tell me the demensions for a 40 heater motor? Shaft length & Dia., Overall motor length, Case Bolts center to center, etc. My heater motor is not the correct motor, and is a two wire motor, and has some internal problems. I'm not sure the motor I have fits properly. When I bought the car, the heater was not working, and it seems the motor didn't fit right. The fan assembly was rubbing where it passes through the metal piece between the blades and squirrel cage. I read that NAPA sells a motor that is suppose to fit, and can be bought in either a 6 volt or 12 volt version, and it is reversable. I would appreciate any help. If the motor I have turns out to be the correct size, I can probably find an outfit to rebuilt it. I know it won't be 100% correct, but at least I can have and use the 40 heater that came with my car.

bo8109b    -- 11-06-2014 @ 8:54 AM
  If you're interested in a after market replacement, I have one from C&G cheap. Installed it in my '48 then realized the original could be repaired and removed it. It's a 6v two wire. 2 3/4 diameter. Mounting bolts 2 1/4 apart. 1/4 shaft. Carl

Dave in WY    -- 11-06-2014 @ 11:28 AM
  Thanks Carl!! I will keep that it mind. My motor is 3" in diameter, 2 1/2" mounting face to mounting face, 1/4" shaft. Overall length of motor is 3 3/8", not including shaft. The shaft is 7/8" long, and looks like it has been shortened, as the end of the shaft is not flat across. The only marking on the motor is a circle with an underlined LN inside the circle. There is a number, but all I can make out is what looks like ?42. Both of these markings are on the rear mounting face. The mounting bolts or studs are about 1/8" in dia, and 11/16" long. I would assume these are about half the dia. that they should be.??? Dave

Dave in WY    -- 11-06-2014 @ 11:29 AM
  Thanks Carl!! I will keep that it mind. My motor is 3" in diameter, 2 1/2" mounting face to mounting face, 1/4" shaft. Overall length of motor is 3 3/8", not including shaft. The shaft is 7/8" long, and looks like it has been shortened, as the end of the shaft is not flat across. The only marking on the motor is a circle with an underlined LN inside the circle. There is a number, but all I can make out is what looks like ?42. Both of these markings are on the rear mounting face. The mounting bolts or studs are about 1/8" in dia, and 11/16" long. I would assume these are about half the dia. that they should be.??? Dave

deuce_roadster    -- 11-06-2014 @ 8:50 PM
  Do you have the proper switch that takes the 4 wires and reverses the motor? That very well may be the hardest part to come up with.
You are talking about a hot water heater right??

Dave in WY    -- 11-07-2014 @ 1:25 PM
  No, I do not, but I know they are pretty expensive, if you can find them. If I can get the demensions for the stock motor, then maybe I can find a motor that will fit. It won't be the 4 wire, but they do make reversable motors that are two wire. I'm needing the specs for the original motor. If I could find an original motor at a reasonable price, I would think about using the 4 wire original, but then I would also HAVE to use the original switch to make it work right. Yes, I am talking Hot Water Heater. Thanks for your reply!!! Dave

deuce_roadster    -- 11-07-2014 @ 6:17 PM
  Dave, if you PM me with your email address I can send you some pictures with measurements.
Do you have a complete heater? It sounds like the shaft has been cut down on the motor. Besides the squirrel cage inside the housing, there should be a conical part of the housing with a hole that the motor shaft protrudes through and there is a multi blade propeller out there. To facilitate this, a 7/8" shaft length wouldn't reach out to where the multi bladed fan attaches.

supereal    -- 11-09-2014 @ 1:48 PM
  C&G shows a "universal" motor. The diameter is 2 7/8", 2 3/4 long, with a quarter inch diameter shaft, $80. The motor can be wired to reverse using an original type control that flips polarity. Heaters were not usually factory installed, and the dealer furnished it. This resulted in several different models and manufacturers. I found one for my '47 from a salvage place in Missouri after a long search. Most of these heaters don't produce much warmth, even on high speed.

Dave in WY    -- 11-11-2014 @ 2:22 PM
  Thanks Much!!! Those measurements sound like they will work very well. Not much heat is better than no heat. I don't drive it in the winter, but on cool days, it's nice to have a little heat for my bones. We usually have many nice driving days when the temps are lower, and to have the heater would let me enjoy the car that much more.
Dave

oconrad32@gmail    -- 11-12-2014 @ 5:19 AM
  I have a '40 heater in my '36 and it works so good that I run it on low speed with the valve almost closed. It has a replacement motor that is about a 1/4'' to long and the blade scr*ped until I shimmed the case in the right place and now it works better than fine. Also, the car is 12 volt and I use a resister for thew 6 volt motor.

Dave in WY    -- 11-13-2014 @ 9:26 PM
  I think I can find a 12 volt motor that will fit okay. As far as heat, I think the flathead used a 160 degree thermostat, so if you add 20 or 30 degrees to that, I know there will be some heat there. Thanks for the reply!!!
Dave

Dave in WY    -- 11-13-2014 @ 9:28 PM
  Carl, do you know how long the motor is from mounting face to mounting face?? The other dimensions sound real good to me.
Dave

bo8109b    -- 11-14-2014 @ 9:33 AM
  Supereal describes the very 6v heater motor from C&G that I have to offer except at half the price. From mounting face to fan blades measures 3 3/8.

This message was edited by bo8109b on 11-14-14 @ 9:39 AM

Dave in WY    -- 11-15-2014 @ 1:28 AM
  Carl, I measured from the motor mounting face on the heater frame to the fan. I have a Maximum of 2-15/16" with the fan pushed away from the motor as far as possible, and a Minimum of 2 3/4" of room, with the fan pushed as far towards the motor as possible. Spliting the difference leaves 2 27/32". If your motor is 3 3/8" from mounting face to fan, I don't think it will fit the 40 heater.?? I have been told the 39 and 40 heaters were the only ones with this size motor, which is a smaller motor than the 41 - 48. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see where this motor will fit. Supereal gives a measurement of 2 3/4" long, which would fit. I'm confused. I would gladly buy your motor if I know it will fit. I'll go back to C&G and look again, and let you know. Thanks Much!!
Dave

Dave in WY    -- 11-17-2014 @ 10:01 PM
  I contacted C&G, and the fellow I talked to got the motor in hand, and measured it. It is too long to fit the 40 heater. But thanks for the offer!!! Sorry I can't use it.
Dave

Dave in WY    -- 11-17-2014 @ 10:06 PM
  I contacted C&G, and the fellow I talked to got the motor in hand, and measured it. It is too long to fit the 40 heater. But thanks for the offer!!! Sorry I can't use it.
Dave

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7897