Topic: Steering advice

jreed    -- 11-05-2014 @ 11:22 AM
  Hello all.. I am a brand new member with a mostly restored 1936 Ford Deluxe, model 68 and I need some advice please. There is considerable "play" in the steering and I was hoping that someone could lead me to the most likely cause. I've worked on old cars all my life and have found that it's best to ask for help rather than just "jumping in". Thanks

ken ct.    -- 11-05-2014 @ 11:18 PM
  Get yourself a copy od 32-36 engine & chassis repair manual. Availible from "MACS" as 32-66864-1 $22.50 Best book you will ever find. Covers many things in pics and text. I assume other big box Vendors also have it. "C & G on the west coast or Job lot on LI NY Queens to be exact. ken ct. I have 2 of them 1 soiled one in the garage and 1 in the house for reference,course I bought them when they were like $12 yrs ago. Inflation you know. ken ct. ps I also rebuild carbs,fuel pumps and distributors to show condition. Good luck with your 36. I also have a 36 5/w coupe have for 25 yrs.

ford38v8    -- 11-05-2014 @ 11:30 PM
  In my opinion, you'll be much better off replacing your spartan '36 steering gearbox with a '37 unit. Getting hard to find now, but still available, and much improved over the previous, and in your case, worn '36 steering gear. Pretty much a drop in, but I understand you'll need the '37 mounting bracket along with the gearbox. I haven't done it, luckily I have a '38 with excellent steering.

Alan

TomO    -- 11-06-2014 @ 6:36 AM
  The first thing you should do is determine which parts are worn. I have found it easier to do if I lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position and then jack up one front wheel and grab the tire at the mid-point of the front and back and then try to move the tire. You should have almost no movement. If there is movement, look for where it is (tie rod ends, drag link or steering box or all of the above). Repair or replace the worn parts.

You should also check the kingpins on both front wheels by trying to move the tire while your hands are at the top and bottom of the tire. Any movement is either worn kingpin bushings or a loose wheel bearing adjustment.

Tom

jreed    -- 11-06-2014 @ 4:48 PM
  Thanks to all that have replied. I've already placed my order with Mac's for the manual. I put the front end up on jacks tonight and can't wait for tomorrow (Saturday) so I can get started on the other suggestions offered. Looks like I found the right place to look for advise from friendly folk.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-06-2014 @ 6:49 PM
  FYI-36 was the only year that the steering box used needle bearings, they tend to freeze up on the shaft and wear out very easily. not too hard to find the bearings NOS, it is a serviceable box if you are going for originality, but if it a driver try to find a 37-39 box and rebuild it, you will like the steering much better and easier to rebuild

40 Coupe    -- 11-07-2014 @ 4:29 AM
  36 is the only early V8 Ford to use needle bearings on the sector shaft. If and when they go bad usually a lot of play develops. The play may have developed from other items also. You should be able to find all the parts necessary to rebuild your original box. Follow the Ford directions printed in the service manual for 32.

ken ct.    -- 11-07-2014 @ 6:06 AM
  Forgot # on book is "V13" ken ct. or "VB-13"

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7894