Topic: 1939 Heater systems

Jeff-39 Woodie    -- 10-27-2014 @ 4:53 AM
  When I bought my woodie, it didn't have the heater box setup under the dash nor the radio. I want info on what to put in the car to make it correct. Any suggestions from the experienced would be helpful and appreciated.

40 Coupe    -- 10-27-2014 @ 5:06 AM
  Both the heater and the radio were accessories in 1939. Your car without the accessories is correct. To add the accessories and yet make the car correct, than all the details about each accessory has to be correct. I suggest you gather as much information as you can find about each accessory you have interest in and then collect all the parts necessary for their installation. Install each as a package. For 1940 there were two different radios Philco & Zenith. I am not sure if 39 had two also. There are two very different heathers for 39: Hot air & Hot water.

juergen    -- 10-27-2014 @ 7:49 AM
  There were 3 radios for the 39 Ford and two heater systems. Suggest you purchase the "1938-1939 Ford Book" available through this site. It shows all the variations and mounting and wiring.

wmsteed    -- 10-28-2014 @ 9:17 AM
  Not to sure about the '39 radios, have seen them ans that's about it.
I have had some experience with the heaters. From my experience there are two choices, the manifold type which are more bother than what they are worth.
The second option is the hot water heater. This heater is generally mounted on the passenger side of the firewall.
I have a '38-39 Ford hot water heater in my '36 Ford.. It was in the car when I bought the car 62 years ago.
The heater has provisions for defroster vents that are controlled by a knob on top of the heater that slides back and forth.
I have attached a pix of my heater for your review..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 10-29-14 @ 7:00 AM

kubes40    -- 10-29-2014 @ 9:40 AM
  I've attached a photo of a properly restored and properly installed '39 hot water heater. These are easier to come by than a proper hot air heater. Me? I tend to prefer the hot air type as if you need heat, it is there instantly whereas the water type heater won't supply warm air until the engine is warm. Regardless of my preference, both types work quite well.
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7861