Topic: PCV system.

Gary M.    -- 10-26-2014 @ 9:20 AM
  Hi Guys,Im hoping someone might be able to give me some leads on this topic. I would like to put a PCV system on me 39 Standard 85hp engine. Ive seen people drill holes in their manifolds before but I don't want to go that route. Are there any companies that make a plate for between the carb and manifold with a hose that leads to the oil fill cap.This would allow me to maintain the originality of the engine while having a working PVC system. I can probably put together something on my own, but it might not be as neat. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.....

supereal    -- 10-26-2014 @ 10:44 AM
  The PCV system, particularly the valve, must be appropriate to the specifics of the engine. That is why you see so many kinds of valves at the parts places. The usual reason for installing this system on old engines is to try to deal with excessive crankcase fumes due to worn rings and/or valve guides. Old Fords do have crankcase ventilation which would have to be altered to allow a PCV to operate while maintaining adequate intake vacuum at different levels.

Gary M.    -- 10-26-2014 @ 5:42 PM
  I do have excessive blow by which makes me and my passengers smell like exhaust, so I figured that a PVC system would be a good way to alleviate the problem. The engine runs great and I don't have any plans to rebuild it anytime soon. I wonder what others do when they have this problem? Do I have any other options? All suggestions appreciated. Thanks....

avrotom    -- 10-26-2014 @ 5:44 PM
  Gary, I picked up a kit from Goller"s Hot Rods, 419 428 2271, that looks like it was well planned. I have not had it running yet so the proof is in the pudding. Maybe others have used the kit.

avrotom    -- 10-26-2014 @ 5:46 PM
  It must be installed with the engine apart tho. Also not much will beat blowby and the need for attention to the engine.

ford38v8    -- 10-26-2014 @ 9:27 PM
  Just speculation here, but I've often wondered if piping a metal flex hose from the breather to the air cleaner would do well? As I recall, this was the setup on the first systems available years ago.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 10-27-2014 @ 1:36 AM
  This is an area where I am not familiar but is there a spacer with a vacuum take off designed for the Columbia that might work? Maybe it is reproduced, you might check with the Columbia guys. Maybe check out this under miscellaneous: http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/Pages/default.aspx

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-27-14 @ 1:40 AM

40 Coupe    -- 10-27-2014 @ 5:17 AM
  I don't believe a PCV system would help with excessive blow-by. Your engine problem may lie with moisture in the oil and fumes from the oil coming out of the breather. This is often typical for flatheads that are not driven much and various climate conditions. I would add Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine oil (follow the label) and drive the car for longer periods. See if this improves the problem. Make sure you change oil every 6 Months or with road miles.

supereal    -- 10-27-2014 @ 1:28 PM
  Years ago, most parts place sold a gadget that fit on the breather tube (fuel pump mount) and trailed a long flexible metal tube that was placed down under the firewall to channel the fumes out. They "kind of" helped, but the only real fix is a ring and valve job. It is likely the rings or the valve guides are badly worn, and adding MMO oil will probably increase the fumes.

Gary M.    -- 10-27-2014 @ 5:19 PM
  There was also a fan powered PVC system sold back in the day but I cant seem to locate one. It mounted under the hood and forced air into the breather cap which would force the crankcase smoke out of the oil pan screen. Don't know how well they worked but I would give it a try. From what ive seen,the carburetor vacuumm plates are all custom made,probably in a machine shop. I cant locate one of those either.

David J    -- 10-28-2014 @ 5:13 PM
  If you have the stock rear sealing system ponder this thought . Stock 39's do not have a rear seal . They have a labyrinth system . Definitely not air tight and you may suck dirt - cr*p in from the bellhousing area . Forcing air in may push oil out into the bellhousing area . The most aggressive I would get is the old hose from the oil cap to the air cleaner top mentioned by SUPERREAL . If YOU SEAL THE CAP WELL YOU SHOULD GET RID OF THE SMELL ANYWAY .

This message was edited by David J on 10-28-14 @ 5:15 PM

Gary M.    -- 10-28-2014 @ 6:19 PM
  Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I will tinker with a few possibilities without making any permanent changes. I will report back soon.....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7859