Topic: '36 electric wiper

oracleflatheader    -- 02-09-2010 @ 7:45 AM
  There was a brief note identifying a Honda or other import electric wiper motor that would fit my '36 sedan. Here in New England, I need a faithful, strong wiper. I have poured over & over my issues back 5 yrs and can't find it. It is not in the index. It was a brief note, I think in one of the letters to Jerry.
Thanks! Don Cape Cod

trjford8    -- 02-09-2010 @ 8:56 AM
  Don, go to this website; www.mightywiper.com. The wiper comes in 12 volt, but they can make one for 6 volt also.

supereal    -- 02-09-2010 @ 10:59 AM
  C&G sell a six volt wiper motor for the 32-36, A-17508, available in black or stainless. It is on page 214 of their catalog at www.cgfordparts.com

oracleflatheader    -- 02-10-2010 @ 4:03 AM
  I know one of the major wiper suppliers has come out with an exact replacement. However there was a wiper commented on in the V8 Times that can be found in one of the import cars. I'm on a low budget. Sombody must remember where that comment was in the Times. Thanks

supereal    -- 02-10-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  The C&G motor is $42 for black, $50 for stainless. I'd be suspicious of anything much cheaper than that.

trjford8    -- 02-10-2010 @ 8:32 PM
  The wiper that may work is from a Mitsubishi hatchback or station wagon. I supect that wiper is also used on other Japanese cars. Probably made by Nippondenso.
Bob, I'm going to check on the wiper sold by C and G. That particular unit may not fit behind the header panel and many require cutting a hole in the panel. I will be in San Deigo at the end of the month and will be going to C and G. I need a wiper for my 37 and want to see if it will fit. It's a lot cheaper than Mightywiper, so I'm anxious to see if it will fit.

tommorookian    -- 02-11-2010 @ 3:19 AM
  The mighty wiper fits behind the header panel. The C&G or any of the other "universal" ones do not fit. Mighty wiper is a single speed motor but you can use a resistor from 12 to six volts and it will run slower. If your running 6 volts then they do make a 6 volt unit but then you only get 1 speed. The output shaft reqires drilling the roof hole out to about 3/8".

The other type wiper assembly is made by Lucas and was used in Jaguars, TR7's and som MGB models. It's a 2 speed motor with tubing and a worm drive cable that goes up to two "bogies" (Wipe stanchions) that require drilling out the mounting holes. The motor is mounted below the dash on the passenger side by the kick panel. Routing the tube up the windshield column requires modifying the wood insert.

supereal    -- 02-11-2010 @ 10:18 AM
  I think you are right, Tom. We have found that almost all electric retrofits require some adaptation. I'm not convinced it is worth the time and cost. My vacuum wipers work as well as they ever did, and I find that a bottle of RainX gets me home in the rare event of a shower. Most of us don't venture far in threatening weather, anyhow. Please convey my regards to Dorothy and her crew when you are in San Diego.

trjford8    -- 02-11-2010 @ 5:58 PM
  Bob. I'll do that. I and two buddies go to the Big 3 swap meet and a trip to C and G is always on our agenda.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=780