Topic: bad skip

jcannoy47    -- 10-01-2014 @ 7:43 PM
  I have a 40 coupe that's been running good until last week . when I first crank it , it skips and back fires and runs rough for about 5 miles and it starts smoothing out. after about another 5 miles it start running good. I put plugs, points, coil, and am lost. can someone help?

ken ct.    -- 10-01-2014 @ 11:02 PM
  With stock Helmet dist. Final setting on points must be done with coil scr*w*d down in place on dist or you will be short on gap. Did you do it this way. ken ct.

jcannoy47    -- 10-02-2014 @ 5:16 AM
  thanks for your reply. it has the newer type distributor (clam sh*ll) it has a coil with built in resistor with 12v system

ken ct.    -- 10-02-2014 @ 6:50 AM
  Oh I assumed it had a stock 40 dist,you didn't indicate otherwise. Sounds more like possible carb problems ?? ken ct. Points should be set @ .016 . Possibly condenser also.Lot of bad ones out there. ken ct.

TomO    -- 10-02-2014 @ 6:52 AM
  Try some Seafoam in the gas. You may have a little water in the gas.

If that doesn't fix it, check for a vacuum leak around the base of the carburetor.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-02-2014 @ 12:30 PM
  Did you bypass the original firewall resistor? The aftermarket 12 volt coil may be starved if that resistor is in the circuit. As the problem smooths out after the engine is warm, and you haven't replaced the plug wires, they may be "leaking" into the conduits until the warmup blows off any moisture. If you have carbon fiber plug wires, instead of metallic, that can also be a fault.

jcannoy47    -- 10-08-2014 @ 4:17 PM
  thanks for your help. I still have a problem . I put new wires , condenser, new distributor cap, rotor button. it run fine with no skip but it back fires in muffler. when I go up hill it back fires but runs smooth, maybe a little less power. thanks, getting close I hope, could it be the carb? its a 94

TomO    -- 10-09-2014 @ 7:18 AM
  Have you checked your spark. You should have a good 1/2" spark at idle. If you do, look for a vacuum leak.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-09-2014 @ 3:09 PM
  Check the fuel delivery to the carb. I had the same problem until I found the fuel line from the tank to the firewall was mostly plugged with rust and dirt. When fuel demand is high, such as a long pull, the mixture leans out when the carb bowl level drops, resulting in the backfire. The line is only 1/4 inch, and anything that reduces capacity results in loss of power when demands is high.

shogun1940    -- 10-10-2014 @ 10:03 AM
  i would get a vacuum and check for little leak ,, also where you have all new parts i would question them

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7788