Topic: ethanol in fuel and old cars

shogun1940    -- 09-26-2014 @ 4:11 PM
  there is an excellent article in the August 2014 street rodder magazine on page 68 that may help a lot if you are having fuel problems.

Bertha    -- 09-30-2014 @ 4:51 PM

This message was edited by Bertha on 9-30-14 @ 4:53 PM

supereal    -- 09-30-2014 @ 5:01 PM
  Ethanol is poison for old cars that haven't been refitted with fuel proof parts. Now, there are plans to increase alcohol content from ten percent to fifteen. Those of us with old cars are being forced to pay a premium for non alcohol fuel. Here, in Iowa, the cost is fifty cents per gallon. Soon, even that with disappear, according to the marketers.. If that is true, kiss our hobby goodbye!

lazy69ranch    -- 09-30-2014 @ 8:44 PM
  The additional 50 cents sounds pretty good from CA...I'm already paying $6.83/gal here in N. California for ethanol free 93. It's not readily available at just any fueling station.

len47merc    -- 10-01-2014 @ 6:46 AM
  Here in central NC 89 octane with 10% ethanol is currently $3.19-$3.29/gal. Ethanol FREE 89 octane is $4.11, while 93 octane is running in the high $4 range (therefore $0.90-$1.00 premium here for ethanol free). Not sure if any value/benefit exists in investing in and running the 93 - have always been advised to run 89 to most closely replicate the octane levels in the late '40s. Perhaps this is incorrect - ?

Giving full credit here to '40cpe' who posted the following info in a reply to a similar discussion back in ~July, you all may find the following website useful in your pursuit of your local locations that carry ethanol-free fuel:

http://pure-gas.org/

The octane ratings have been found to not be accurate (here anyway) in all cases - recommend calling in advance of investing in the drive.

Steve

supereal    -- 10-01-2014 @ 11:06 AM
  Non alcohol here (Iowa City) is $3.63/gallon. The low grade gasohol is $3.13. The pumps here use a common hose, so whatever was left over in the hose after the last use is what you get when you fill up. As most use the lowest price gas with alcohol, we all get some even when we pay the higher price. Old cars may tolerate this, but it is damaging to small engines. There is a move to eliminate all non alcohol gas so a higher grade of gasohol can be sold. When asked how those who have to have non-alcohol, the replay is that "there is always aviation fuel". I'm sure the FBO's at the airports would love to have us all come out to the airports.

40fordor    -- 10-01-2014 @ 2:57 PM
  Super, or anyone that has an answer, What changes are required to ethanol proof our old Fords. I know some of the areas but probably not all. Thanks.
Don

1934 Ford    -- 10-02-2014 @ 6:42 PM
  Here in the mountains of NC I paid $3.79 a gallon this week for non-ethenol 87 octane gas. Easy to find but always .40-.60 more than regular 87 octane gasaohol.
Soon the touring season will be ending and I'll go to the non-ethenol with Marine Stabil in my flathead Fords for the winter when the cars may sit for extended periods.
For my mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, etc, etc. I use the non-ethenol and Marine Stable all year long.
My feeling is that the water that the ethenol attracts is the main problem when equipment sits. Same applies to my collector cars and motorcycles.
I think the octane was around 65 in the 1930's and the 87 octane today is plenty. Had a mechanic tell me that the higher octane really only is necessay with high compression engines and then only under extreme loads.
My 21 stud flathead Fords are hardly high performance.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Bertha    -- 10-03-2014 @ 4:17 AM
  Gloom & Doom?....just my experience.

Fuel system & tank completely cleaned in 1979 two years after inheriting our '53'. Dual vac fuel pump and ceramic filter replaced, MMO & fuel stabilizers used continually.

89 10% since it was forced on us, Marine Sta-Bil, MMO every tankful, along with Aces at Spring get ready.

So.....what do I change?

Bob

"it's only original once""

This message was edited by Bertha on 10-3-14 @ 4:25 AM

TomO    -- 10-03-2014 @ 8:30 AM
  Ethanol affects the rubber parts in the fuel system, so any rubber parts should be replaced with Ethanol compliant materials.

Phase separation, is when the Ethanol and water separate from the gasoline. This happens mainly after long storage, 1 yr or more. Fuel stabilizers can extend this period.

The other volatile compounds in the gasoline that are added for air quality issues, can deteriorate in 60-90 days without a stabilizer.

Some brands of gasoline have detergent additives that last longer and others can foul the plugs in carbureted cars in short periods. One brand caused a miss after driving the car only 100 miles. Seafoam was added to a fresh tank of gasoline and the miss went away.

Always buy your gas at the busiest station you can find, and don't fill up when the station's tanks are being filled.

Tom

Bertha    -- 10-03-2014 @ 9:50 AM

"Ethanol affects the rubber parts in the fuel system, so any rubber parts should be replaced with Ethanol compliant materials."

Did they even have such hose, (polypropylene) back in the day?

Bob

"it's only original once"

---

1935ford    -- 10-04-2014 @ 12:32 PM
  Adding to Supereal's mention of aviation fuel in his 10/1 posting: For all practical purposes there is currently one grade of avgas available: 100LL. The "100" represents the minimum octane rating (local stock car racers love it) and "LL" for low lead. The LL designation is relative to the lead content of earlier grades of avgas. Actually, the tetraethyl lead content of 100LL avgas is approximately 4 times that of the regular grade auto gas discontinued in the U.S. in the early '70s. - R.J.

supereal    -- 10-04-2014 @ 12:40 PM
  It wasn't necessary, back in the day. "Fuel proof" hose can now be found at most good parts places. Every fuel reformulation produces new problems. When the diesel fuel was changed, it ate all the rubber parts, and ruined many injection pumps. Now that winter is coming, it is a very good idea to add stabilizer, such as Sta-Bil, because ethanol contains water from the manufacture that can freeze and cause damage. Now, all gasoline contains at least a trace of alcohol.

Bertha    -- 10-05-2014 @ 1:12 PM
  "It wasn't necessary, back in the day."

...and why was that?

The corn-a-hol was the same...no?

Bob

"it's only original once"

---

supereal    -- 10-05-2014 @ 1:28 PM
  "Gasahol" wasn't in common use until the last decade or so when it was developed to replace the lead in gas for "anti knock" purposes, and to reduce tailpipe emissions. The government mandated a subsidy for the fuel, and many drivers switched to save money. The trend was delayed because ethanol couldn't be transported by pipeline, only trains and trucks, because of the corrosive nature of the product.

TomO    -- 10-05-2014 @ 2:46 PM
  There is a lot of information on the Web about the advantages and disadvantages of Ethanol in the gas. It is a great solvent that dissolves plastics and rubber, it attracts water making it more corrosive, etc.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7768