Topic: Recondition brake cylinders vendors

murphy 1941    -- 09-13-2014 @ 6:43 PM
  Is there a vendor who reconditions brake cylinders ? Currently I'm repairing all four wheels and I don't know of a better option than to repair what one has rather than accept junk made overseas. Would appreciate any ideas or help for recondition or new USA . Thank you John

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

alanwoodieman    -- 09-13-2014 @ 7:08 PM
  White Post Restoration in Va

TomO    -- 09-14-2014 @ 8:41 AM
  The sleeving process is expensive, and you should be able to find good new cylinders at the auto parts store.

I have had very good luck with C&G, Yesteryear Ford Parts and Dennis Carpenter, but I hate the wait for shipping.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-14-2014 @ 2:32 PM
  As Tom points out, reliable wheel cylinders are usually available. We also use C&G, as they know that there are left and right side cylinders. The larger piston always faces forward. The usual reason for pitting in the bore is the failure to replace the fluid every couple of years, if your vehicle sits a lot. Sleeving with brass or stainless steel is overkill, in most cases, and usually reserved for parts of rare cars that can't be purchased off the rack. We usually pay about $42 each for good quality.

Norm    -- 09-14-2014 @ 2:59 PM
  Wheel cylinder pistons are anodized aluminum and frequently are scored and/or the anodized coating worn off - allowing them to corrode. Same problem with masters. New ones are not included in kits. How do folks deal with these? Just use them the way they are? Is there a source for new ones?

TomO    -- 09-15-2014 @ 7:40 AM
  Minor scoring and corrosion on the aluminum pistons can be cleaned up with brass wool. The pistons do not have to be perfect as they do not control the fluid. They must be able to travel freely in the bore without tipping, so they can keep the rubber seal in position.

My concern would be that when the pistons are bad enough to replace, the cylinder also is in bad shape. Excessive honing of the cylinder to remove all pits, can make it over-sized, causing failure.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7732