Topic: Carb repair kits, grose jet or Viton needle &seat

nelsonford    -- 09-13-2014 @ 5:38 AM
  Anyone have reviews on the latest designs on grose jets vrs Viton tipped needles for ford model 59 94 carburetors? It sounds like a toss up from what I can find. My carbs have a rounded ended bullet pushing a wimpy little blue disk in a machined housing. I have had a lot of leaking problems. And a good supplier who also carries good repair/ gasket kits.

Thanks, Jeff

kubes40    -- 09-13-2014 @ 6:22 AM
  In my opinion you can't beat NOS needle & seats sets. I have had issues with those Groose valves actually sticking CLOSED. Not something I'd expect but it happened on more than one vehicle. Since then, NO Groose valves for me.
Those Viton (sp?) needles have been fairly trouble free. "Fairly".
Yep, find NOS is my best advice.

ken ct.    -- 09-13-2014 @ 6:40 AM
  Check your PM's or email or replies on here. ken ct.

len47merc    -- 09-13-2014 @ 7:13 AM
  ken ct.'s rebuild kits have quality components that will solve your probs in this regard

Steve

TomO    -- 09-13-2014 @ 8:47 AM
  I have had nothing but trouble with the grose jet type of needle valve. The Viton tipped valve work fine if adjusted to a lower fuel level than the steel tipped needle.

Ken Isador has a quality kit with the steel needle valve. Fuel level with his kits must be set to stock. Daytona Carburetor also has a quality kit with their own design of the needle valve. It also works fine when the fuel level is set lower than stock.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-14-2014 @ 2:42 PM
  As for Grose or rubber tipped valves, some swear by them, other swear at them. Stick with the plain steel needles. You probably have to buy a kit to get them. We never toss them out, as they really don't wear out. Given the dicey quality of most kits today, we often reuse parts such as power valves. If the float needle seat is OK, use it, too.

nelsonford    -- 09-14-2014 @ 6:38 PM
  I sure looked in the right place to find what I wanted. Thanks for getting back to me. These are interesting and useful replies.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7731