Topic: horn relay

40merc    -- 02-07-2010 @ 7:17 PM
  does anyone have any diagrams for the horn relay, looking for wiring diagrams and how to hook up a three pole relay.

thanks
joe

TomO    -- 02-08-2010 @ 6:55 AM
  Joe, the original horn relay has 4 terminals and there is one for sale on E Bay as item 390148385952. If you are replacing all of your wiring or intend to have the car judged, I would go with the original type relay. I have seen them quite often at swap meets for less money, if you can wait.

The 3 prong relay has one terminal for the two horn wires, one terminal for the -6 Volt connection and one terminal for the wire from the horn button. They should be marked on the relay, usually with +,- and no marking.

Tom

40merc    -- 02-08-2010 @ 11:39 AM
  thanks tom, i actually disassembled the relay the horn came with and cleaned it up and figured it out. the horns are not original and the relay came with the horns i bought. in fact i believe they are delco remy horns and original delco remy relay to the horns.

im very curious as to what they came out of or if they are after market horns. someone told me delco remy horns were in GM cars. here is a picture, maybe someone can tell me.

thanks,
joe

This message was edited by 40merc on 2-8-10 @ 12:36 PM

40merc    -- 02-08-2010 @ 9:02 PM
  i found the p/n off the relay, its out of a 54-55 corvette. i was also able to test the relay and could not get any voltage out of the horn terminal. took it appart and i found voltage at the top side of the points but not the connecting side. any one have an idea of why? bad coil maybe? also i should add the points did close.

This message was edited by 40merc on 2-8-10 @ 9:04 PM

TomO    -- 02-09-2010 @ 8:05 AM
  If you have voltage on one side of the points and not the other, the points are not making contact. This could be from corrosion, dirt, other contamination or not enough wipe on the contact when the coil is operated.

The coil is a negative ground coil, so if the relay is marked BAT and GRND, make sure that you connect the POS side of the battery to the BAT terminal of the relay.

I have no idea about what was the original use of the horns pictured.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=772