Topic: Dumb as a doorknob

Esteban34    -- 09-02-2014 @ 9:13 PM
  I am trying to pull the old knobs off my interior door handles. I'm too dumb to figure out how to do it with out damaging the handle. Any suggestions appreciated.

adonde vas, estas alli
Esteban

tommorookian    -- 09-03-2014 @ 1:16 AM
  Push the escutcheon back about 1/2 inch. There's a 1/8 pin thru the hole in the handle that goes thru the square end of the regulator. Tap the pin out with a skinny punch. Sometimes thakes a helper to hold the escutcheon back.

ken ct.    -- 09-03-2014 @ 3:46 AM
  If your talking about the knobs like on the window cranks they are NOT removeable. Door handles do not have knobs on them. ken ct From what I remember.???

JM    -- 09-03-2014 @ 9:57 AM
  You would have to remove the complete handle/window winder as Tom said. It would probably require some surgery from behind with a drill to remove the knob. Never actually tried to remove one. It may be a lot quicker and easier to just buy complete new handles from someone like Drake, than to try to redo your old ones.

John

Esteban34    -- 09-04-2014 @ 10:19 PM
  Thanks folks, no problem getting the handle off the door, but want to replace chrome knobs with original brown ones. Will test the drill idea on a spare.

adonde vas, estas alli
Esteban

CharlieStephens    -- 09-05-2014 @ 10:13 AM
  Remember that standard versus deluxe determined what the knobs were made of (at least that is the way it is on a '32, I assume '34 is the same). The suppliers used to sell the plastic knobs separately.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-10-14 @ 1:47 PM

carguy    -- 09-10-2014 @ 10:07 AM
  Interesting,I was not aware that there was a standard and a deluxe interior. I have a '34 cabriolet, how do I tell which I have?

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

CharlieStephens    -- 09-10-2014 @ 1:51 PM
  Interesting,I was not aware that there was a standard and a deluxe interior. I have a '34 cabriolet, how do I tell which I have?
Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet
Bill,
According to "The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It" the cabriolet was available only with deluxe features. You should get a copy of the clubs restoration guideline (I don't have one since I don't have a car that year).

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-10-14 @ 1:52 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7696