Topic: spindle bushings

pinnsky    -- 09-02-2014 @ 4:21 PM
  I'm rebuilding the front end of my 36 and have had no trouble until I went to install the new bushings. Instead on using a vise to put them into the castings, I was able to push them in fairly easily by hand. Can I use something like Loctite to secure them or is there a better way? I still need to hone them to the correct size.
Thanks
Tom

40 Coupe    -- 09-03-2014 @ 4:32 AM
  The size of the hole in the spindle is approx. 0.936 and the O.D. of the bushing is 0.939 resulting in a press fit. Check the O.D. of your bushings. Locktite makes a retaining compound 609 for small gaps. Check with a Locktite supplier for the proper gap. It is possible the king pin could begin to wobble in the hole and enlarge the bushing if the spindle hole is too large. Think about replacing the spindles if their hole is too large or oblong.

supereal    -- 09-03-2014 @ 11:48 AM
  I suspect that someone, at some time, found that new spindle bushings wouldn't fit, so drilled out the holes. Your best choice is to replace the spindles, as using Loctite or other method probably won't allow for the stress of reaming. It is absolutely necessary for the spindle holes to be properly aligned to preserve the steering. You will likely find that if you don't drive the bushings into place, the reamer will not have enough effect, as driving the bushings causes the inside diameter to shrink a bit. Replacing bushings requires both the right driver and reamer. I'd try another set of bushings from a good vendor before you go further. Today, the quality of parts is always in question. The part number is 11A-3110, $3 each at C&G.

woodiewagon46    -- 09-04-2014 @ 4:41 PM
  I would also suggest to try another set from a reputable dealer that sells Ford parts. Are you sure the parts you purchased aren't metric sized and are a tad smaller, they could be from China! I only resort to a "setting compound" such as the mentioned Loctite 609 as a last resort, and think the beating a front end gets will eventually loosen the 609. Also, I think once you go to ream the bushings, you will destroy the bond of the 609. If you are adamant about using your original spindles, I would look into oversized bushings and bring the spindles and new bushings to a machine shop and have the bushings fitted to your spindles. Let us know what you find!

woodiewagon46    -- 09-05-2014 @ 10:12 AM
  I just checked a front end rebuilding kit I have on the shelf and the bushings supplied in this kit are Clevite, 02738. Perhaps this will help you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7694