Topic: Squeaky Something when Backing up

murphy 1941    -- 09-01-2014 @ 8:57 PM
  When backing up out of driveway and just as I turn on the street the car squeaks also squeaks when brakes applied. I can see if it squeaks when I apply brake but when I'm just turning to get on the street is what baffles me? I had the wheels of when I got car and repacked bearings and checked brakes. Now this? Seems coming from rear

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

TomO    -- 09-02-2014 @ 6:55 AM
  In high humidity weather, the brake shoes can absorb some moisture and rub on the drums causing a squeak. This usually goes away after driving a few miles. If this is what you are experiencing, I would not worry about it.

If it is not the shoes rubbing on the drums, you may have worn axle housings, causing the rear wheel bearings to squeak. I would worry about this, as it could lead to a broken axle.

There are other causes of squeaks and you will have to check out the suspension for them.

Tom

murphy 1941    -- 09-02-2014 @ 9:57 AM
  Thanks TomO when I checked wheels last winter the right axle had slight marks on it not deep. What can be done to avert further damage short of replacement of axle? John

murphy 1941    -- 09-02-2014 @ 9:58 AM
  The squeak does go away after a while but not completely a slight one some time. Usually take car out once per week

murphy 1941    -- 09-02-2014 @ 9:32 PM
  Tom, worn axle housing? What is the axle housing you refer, the entire outer housing from differential to the wheel? I've never been in this situation regarding rear wheels, and it's Greek to me . So bear with me on this I'm learning. John

TomO    -- 09-03-2014 @ 6:37 AM
  John,

The rear wheel bearings use the axle housing as an inner race. If the bearings are not kept greased, the housings wear on the load side (bottom). The squeak that is produced is a high pitched one and is usually heard backing up at low speeds.

The brake squeak is usually a lower pitched squeak, some time it sounds like the groan old men make when they get up from under the car.

Marks on the axle are usually OK, marks on the housing, mean it is wearing. The bearing surface can be turned and a sleeve pressed on to repair the worn surface. Order your sleeve from John Connely, as they have the correct hardness.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-3-14 @ 6:40 AM

murphy 1941    -- 09-05-2014 @ 8:39 PM
  Tom, how do I get in touch withj John Connely please . In case I need sleeve? I've got the tire off and haven't taken the drum off yet , waiting to barrow puller. I probably should get one myself. I turned the the , tried to turn it and it was really tough to turn. I'll see what I get when drum is removed. But need contact info for j.Connely thanks

TomO    -- 09-06-2014 @ 6:16 AM
  Here is a link to his website

http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/Pages/default.aspx

Is your squeak high pitched or a groan?

Tom

supereal    -- 09-09-2014 @ 12:26 PM
  A squeaking or grating sound from a brake drum can be from a loose part, such as a dislodged shoe clip. The last one I chased was from a "horseshoe" clip that fell off a parking brake assembly.

murphy 1941    -- 09-09-2014 @ 8:33 PM
  I pulled wheels rear, one possible problem on right side wheel is when they turned drum down they left a ridge on bottom where cut ended the is more pronounced then the other wheel on left side. It rubbed against front edge of shoe making it black. It's possible a squeak? Then I opened pandora box, I lifted the dust seals to check if any fluid, sure enough it's leaking on both wheels. So replacement is required. The color of fluid is rust color. Will know more later. I believe the core is done with rust will see.

TomO    -- 09-10-2014 @ 7:39 AM
  Sorry to hear that you found new problems, but it is better to find out in the garage than on the road. I like to rebuild or replace all cylinders and hoses at the same time. It gives me the feeling that I will have good brakes for a long time.

Flushing the DOT3 brake fluid every other year is a good idea on our older cars. The less you use the car the more the flushing is needed.

Tom

murphy 1941    -- 09-11-2014 @ 8:57 PM
  Tom, I was told by old timer to use Dot 5 instead of 3 because it's better. .? Has better resistance against moisture build up ? Any suggestion on various Dot brake fluids

murphy 1941    -- 09-11-2014 @ 9:02 PM
  I plan on doing all wheels after finding leaks on rear. RAYBESTER. if that's the spelling makes brake cylinders that according to Joe are better than other makes. Any experience on this is also helpful. Also, I read somewhere that it's good idea to take-apart the new ones and lubricate with brake fluid as when we receive it might be dry? All comments appreciated as this is. My first brake hydraulic job. Thks

TomO    -- 09-12-2014 @ 6:33 AM
  I have had dot 5 in my 40 Merc since 1978. Since then the car has been driven many miles with no brake problems. I have replaced the Master cylinder and hoses and rebuilt the wheel cylinders a couple of time as a preventive measure.

My 53 Lincoln has had DOT 5 in it for many years and no PM has been done yet. On the way home from the CNM my brakes started pulling to the left, so I looked at the rf wheel cylinder and found it stuck. I just rebuilt the one, due to time restraints, the others will be done over the winter.

Dot 5 is hard to bleed on the 39-48 cars as the master cylinder is lower than the wheel cylinders when the car is level. It does give you a slightly softer pedal that can bother some people.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 both need to be flushed on a regular basis or rust will form in the cylinders, causing leaks.

You must flush the lines with alcohol if you change from one type to another.

I don't have a brand preference for brake parts, jus a strong bias against the ones made in China. They don't use SAE taps in their manufacturing process, so you are likely to have leaks where the hoses attach. The cylinders are sometimes out of round, so you have a problem bleeding the brakes.

The only US made master cylinder that I could find 3 years ago was an re-manufactured unit from Wagner. We went through 3 Chinese master cylinders that could not be bench bled and the 4th was bench bled, but failed to stay together long enough to bleed the system. The Wagner unit worked the way it should.

Tom

murphy 1941    -- 09-12-2014 @ 9:30 PM
  Tom, are the wheel cylinders from Wagner still available or perhaps you have infor as to how I can contact John thk u

TomO    -- 09-13-2014 @ 8:50 AM
  John, check with your local parts house that is not part of a national chain. These guy are used to supplying mechanics and searching for parts. The national chains only can find parts by having the VIN.

Tom

murphy 1941    -- 09-14-2014 @ 8:07 PM
  Ok I will try local who has been around a long time john

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7688