Topic: 1937 brake drum/hubs

m.eaton    -- 08-29-2014 @ 10:38 AM
  hi, went to the local inspection facility and was denied because my drums were too thin. the diameter of the bolt pattern is nearly 10". it would be nice to find new old hubs/drums that could be machined. leaving the looks and mechanics stock. the local v8 guys would like me to upgrade with all kinds of adapters which if push came to shove i'd have to do. any ideas here? or better yet anyone with hub/drums that would fit? contact mikeylikes8@gmail.com or 604 526 2499, thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 08-29-2014 @ 1:02 PM
  Start advertising here, and on fordbarn.com. Something should show up. I periodically see ads trying to sell them. Worst case the '40-48 drums will bolt right on without any adapters but you will need to run the later wheels. What did they use as a criteria for the drums being too thin, turned over .060? For your info the bolt pattern on yours is 5 on 10 1/4. Where, in general, are you located?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-29-14 @ 1:04 PM

ford38v8    -- 08-29-2014 @ 1:23 PM
  What kind of inspection facility would go to the extremes of dismantling your car to determine possible safety issues?

Alan

supereal    -- 09-01-2014 @ 2:09 PM
  The wide circle brake drums have become very scarce, and many offered have been turned past the safe point. You can try MT Car Products. Their web site is www.mtcarproducts@gmail.com

This message was edited by supereal on 9-1-14 @ 2:10 PM

m.eaton    -- 09-14-2014 @ 3:20 PM
  yes they were already to 120 they said. they also found the brake lines were put in copper. yes it was converted. everyone in the club said that was a good thing. could get adapters but would rather not. found some drums locally they were at 120 also. make me wonder were the 60 came from if 120 is o'k.

m.eaton    -- 09-14-2014 @ 3:24 PM
  the b.c. government holds the inspection facility totally liable for any problems they overlook so these guys turn over every rock

CharlieStephens    -- 09-14-2014 @ 6:26 PM
  Mike,

If you are really serious about wanting drums how come I haven't seen you wanted ads here, on fordbarn.com and on HAMB? Maybe I just missed them.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-14-14 @ 6:43 PM

TomO    -- 09-15-2014 @ 7:20 AM
  Mike,
The .060 number was set during the 1950's from experience.

When drums are turned more than .060, the linings will not make full contact with the drum. This gives poor brake performance. In the old days, shims under the linings or re-arching the linings was used to enable the linings to make full contact. You cannot use shims under bonded linings.

In the 50's, drums were thinner to reduce un-sprung weight and .060 was all that could be removed from those drums. Removing more material would make the drums too thin, resulting in problems with heat dissipation. When the drums get too hot, the brakes fade and become useless.

Copper brake lines are dangerous and forbidden throughout the modern world. Copper work hardens and the lines can rupture unexpectedly. Use steel lines in assorted lengths from your local parts house, order pre-bent lines from one of the suppliers or use the nickle-copper alloy lines that have been approved for usage in brake line.

Get your parts wanted ad placed and check with some of the recyclers that advertise in the hobby publications, for good used drums. Then start replacing your brake lines with approved material.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-15-14 @ 7:22 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7677