Topic: 1950 ford business coupe questions

MarkinSC    -- 08-28-2014 @ 8:21 PM
  Hello, just joined. I just inherited a 1950 business coupe with original drive train from my father in law. Car has sat in garage for over 30 years. He started rat rodding it as far as the body is concerned, and is too far from original or stock. I'm not familiar with flatheads or these cars too much but am familiar with early mustangs and fox mustangs. I have alot of questions, not sure if i should list them all here under one post, or break it up over several posts but here it goes.
1) I want to go to 12 v from 6 v. Any suggestions on an alternator setup? will i have problems with sticking with original fuel pump and carb with todays fuel? Are there any alternatives where i can keep the carb but go to an electric fuel pump? I seem to be missing parts on this car, like the long rod that connects the cam to the stock fuel pump. Can I get that part somewhere or just go with an electric fuel pump for 12v, negative ground.
2) the distributor is not in the block. any recommendations on installing the distributor? I found it inside the car. It has only 1 wire off of it, and looks like antoher wire was cut off of it.
3) I was thinking of going with a 66 mustang electrical harness for the starting system, and lighting and switches.
4) There is a hole under the driver side water housing, what goes in that hole?
5) there is a hole to the left of the oil filter, what goes in that hole?
6) It has a fenton intake with 2 ford carbs that need overhauled. Any suggestions on getting them rebuilt or how to rebuild them? Or a different path to take with it?
7) No linkage was there to hook the two carbs together or to the gas pedal. Any suggestions on how to do this?
8) I don't see any shocks, did they not have shocks?
9) any recommendations for pulling the engine? lift points etc?

TomO    -- 08-29-2014 @ 7:06 AM
  1) I want to go to 12 v from 6 v. Any suggestions on an alternator setup? will i have problems with sticking with original fuel pump and carb with todays fuel? Are there any alternatives where i can keep the carb but go to an electric fuel pump? I seem to be missing parts on this car, like the long rod that connects the cam to the stock fuel pump. Can I get that part somewhere or just go with an electric fuel pump for 12v, negative ground.

Unless you want to add AC, I would stick with the stock 6volt electrical system. It is easier to maintain and trouble shoot. You can buy a 12volt alternator with the mounting for the flathead engine at several suppliers. One of them is Speedway Motors.

There are fuel pumps and carb kits to work with today's gas. You can install an electric fuel pump so that it pumps through the stock pump or eliminate the stock pump and cover the opening for the fuel pump mount. The pump push rod is available from many parts suppliers.

2) the distributor is not in the block. any recommendations on installing the distributor? I found it inside the car. It has only 1 wire off of it, and looks like antoher wire was cut off of it.

The distributor for the 50 Ford is a loadamatic type and should be checked for correct advance on a distributor machine, by a qualified operator. Skip Haney in Florida performs this service. The engine should have the no.1 piston at TDC and the mark on the damper pulley lined up with the indicator. The no 1 cylinder is the front one on the right side. The cap should be marked with the firing order, so line up the rotor with no1 wire and insert the distributor. The only wire to the distributor is from the coil to the points.

3) I was thinking of going with a 66 mustang electrical harness for the starting system, and lighting and switches.

Tyree Wires is among many vendors that make reproduction harnesses for your car. It will be easier to install and troubleshoot an original type harness that a re-engineered harness.
4) There is a hole under the driver side water housing, what goes in that hole?
A picture would help.
5) there is a hole to the left of the oil filter, what goes in that hole?
6) It has a fenton intake with 2 ford carbs that need overhauled. Any suggestions on getting them rebuilt or how to rebuild them? Or a different path to take with it? Ken Isador in Connecticut rebuilds them,
7) No linkage was there to hook the two carbs together or to the gas pedal. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Speedway Motors has the linkage.
8) I don't see any shocks, did they not have shocks?
There should be tubular shocks at all 4 corners.
9) any recommendations for pulling the engine? lift points etc? To pull the engine connect the lifting chain to the exhaust port bolts and make sure that they are secure. The engine stand should have an adapter to mount the engine by its exhaust ports.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7675