Topic: 39 For Deluxe Break Bluid

LUCE32    -- 08-27-2014 @ 4:10 PM
  The car runs great - it is the stopping which is a problem. The peddle goes almost to the floor before it starts to slow down. It does not pump up. If it is low on fluid how do I know what kind it has in it. The last owner never touched it. Can I tell by color? Do I just need to adjust each wheel until they won't turn then back off one revolution?

Rick

trjford8    -- 08-27-2014 @ 5:31 PM
  You can put a drop or two of the brake fluid on a scr*p piece of painted metal. If the paint bubbles and lifts up the car has Dot 3 fluid in it. If the car has Dot 5 it is silicone and the paint won't lift. Dot 5 also has a slight purple color to it.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-27-14 @ 5:32 PM

cliftford    -- 08-28-2014 @ 6:39 AM
  Given the information you have provided, I would pull all 4 drums and check for wear, leaks and replace what is needed. The adjustment procedure you describe will not work on your car. Get a motors manual and it will tell you how to adjust your brakes. Gene

TomO    -- 08-28-2014 @ 7:19 AM
  I agree with Clifford that you should pull the drums and inspect the brakes for wear and leaks. You should borrow or rent the rear hub puller (VanPelts Sales rents the correct puller) so you don't damage the rear drums. A puller that pulls on the wheel studs will damage the drum.

If your shoes are not worn, and there are no leaks, repack the wheel bearings with Stalube SL 3131 grease. It is available from Rock Auto.com and NAPA. You will need new grease seals also.

To do a minor adjustment, locate the nuts half way up the outside of the backing plates. Put your wrench on the one nearest the front of the car and put your wrench on it with the long end towards the tire. Pull down on the wrench until the wheel will not spin freely and then back off until it does. Repeat the operation on the nut that is at the rear of the backing plate and at each wheel.

It is important to do the front nut first as that is where most of the braking is done.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-29-2014 @ 7:39 PM
  You check the brake fluid by rolling back the floormat in front of the driver's side , then prying up the round cover over the master cylinder. That will give you access to the reservoir on the top of the master. Unscrew the cap and see how much fluid is in the reservoir. It should be nearly full. If it is very low, it is likely air has entered the system, requiring bleeding. Refill with DOT 3 fluid from a fresh can. Never use old fluid. As said above, adjust all brakes, then recheck the pedal to see if you have safe brakes. If you see evidence of fluid leakage around the rubber boot on the master cylinder, the unit must be replaced.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7669