Topic: Generator to Alternator Conversion

MDB    -- 08-25-2014 @ 4:36 PM
  Over past months several comments have been posted regarding use of retained gen. appearance but convert to alt. internally. Although I have a 39 Deluxe 2dr Sedan, I also have a 58 Edsel with 12V NG Generator which I would like to change over to alternator. Does anyone have info on competent shop, preferably in SE USA, with expertise in making this conversion? Please, any advise or comments (either pro or con)regarding experience or leads will be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy dialogue on this forum. Thanks, MDB

4dFordSC    -- 08-25-2014 @ 6:42 PM
  Suggest you try the AACA Edsel Forum.

carcrazy    -- 08-25-2014 @ 7:47 PM
  Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts may have the parts required for you to make this conversion. You can contact them at 785-632-3450. Their website is www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com.

cliftford    -- 08-25-2014 @ 7:53 PM
  The Edsel would have a higher output generator than the '39. If it is not giving you trouble, why change it?

MDB    -- 08-26-2014 @ 7:37 AM
  Thanks to all for your responses. To further clarify my request: I'm considering installation of AC in the Edsel. My assumption is that alternator would provide more satisfactory performance, while retaining greater under hood "appearance of authenticity" by re-using the generator housing (or replicated housing) plus the original mounting position. Maybe a "pipe dream"?

ford1ford    -- 08-27-2014 @ 12:16 AM
  Tthe last issue of the V8 times has and ad on page 5 offering such a service.Certified auto electric .com call 888-597-8278

MDB    -- 08-28-2014 @ 8:54 AM
  Thanks ford1ford. For benefit of anyone considering alternator installed in generator housing, I was referred to PowerMaster which offers a new 1-wire alternator installed in replicated aluminum housing either painted Black, Polished or Chrome. Product name is PowerGEN and they sell through various suppliers, have a vast inventory for various vehicles including Ford Flathead V8's. I also found a remanufacturer in Oregon who uses original housing as core, machines internally to fit alternator insert. Product name is Gener=Nator, however cost exceeds twice the price of PowerGen product. Both suppliers have web sites.
I really appreciate information exchange on the FORUM and apologize if my communication is excessive.

carcrazy    -- 08-28-2014 @ 9:12 AM
  Be sure you wire up the alternator correctly so that it will begin charging immediately upon start up and more importantly that the engine will shut down as soon as you turn off the ignition switch. A 1-wire alternator may not be capable of doing this with your current ignition switch. You can use a 2-wire alternator with a "DA Plug" to accomplish both of these goals. The DA Plug contains a diode to prevent the alternator current from back feeding the ignition circuit after the ignition switch is turned off.

trjford8    -- 08-28-2014 @ 3:30 PM
  Excellent advice by carcrazy. Also you can order the Powermaster through Summit Racing. It might save you some shipping charges and possible tax depending on where you live.

supereal    -- 08-29-2014 @ 7:11 PM
  One wire alternators usually don't turn fast enough to come on without racing the engine very high. If you look at a modern vehicle, you will see the big difference between the alternator and crank pulley that drives it. You can manually turn it on by grounding one of the lugs on the back of the alternator thru a switch. The best alternators for old cars use two wires, one for the output, and the other to the ignition switch. That will turn on the alternator when you start the car. We made very small alternator pulleys to try to speed the alternator up, but that requires a very tight belt, and only marginally better.

murphy 1941    -- 09-01-2014 @ 9:06 PM
  Supereal, just picked one up for 41 from Joe it's one wire. From what u say, I made a mistake? U mean the alternator will not charge if run on idle or low speed only by racing the engine?. John

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7663