Topic: 40 Ford, 12V Conversion, Starter Button

gt1059    -- 02-06-2010 @ 4:46 PM
  I am converting my 40 Convertible over to 12 volt negative ground. Can the original style starter button still be used. I purchased a new 12 volt starter solenoid which has two small posts instead of one like the original. One post is marked "S" and the other is marked "I" I can't figure out how to hook the starter button wire to this solenoid and it came without any schematic. If I make a wire from the positive battery terminal to the post marked "S" the engine turns over.

Can anyone help?

deluxe40    -- 02-06-2010 @ 7:56 PM
  I don't think you can use your original starter button (unless you wire it through a relay). A stock '40 starter button just grounds the wire leading to it which actives the '40 solenoid. Your new solenoid requires power to the "S" pole to turn the starter (as you have discovered). The "I" pole can be ignored, but can also be used to go around the ignition resistor to apply the full 12v to the coil during starting (assuming the coil you are using has an external rather than an internal ignition resistor).

supereal    -- 02-07-2010 @ 12:16 PM
  Most of the solenoids with two small terminals instead of one have the pulling coil ends brought out to allow multiple uses. If you want to use the original starter button, place a jumper wire between one of the smaller terminals and the battery side of the solenoid, and hook the button up as before to the other side to provide ground when the button is pushed. You can check your solenoid by placing an ohmmeter between the case and the small terminals. If you find a connection, one of those terminals is used to provide battery voltage to "goose" the coil, and an internal connection has already been made.

trjford8    -- 02-07-2010 @ 7:35 PM
  On my last 40 I used the 6 volt solenoid with the 6 volt starter with 12 volts. Worked just fine.

deluxe40    -- 02-09-2010 @ 7:20 PM
  I found the attached diagram of a solenoid circuit with small terminals labeled "S" and "I" in a '67 Mustang shop manual. It still seems to me that you would have to use a relay to apply battery to the "S" terminal when using a stock '40 starter button. The diagram shows battery being applied to the "S" terminal from the switch with the other end of the pulling coil going to ground while the "I" terminal receives battery only when the solenoid is engaged. There are, no doubt, multiple variations on internal solenoid wiring, but I can't figure out to make one of these particular solenoids work with the stock '40 button. Am I missing something?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=766