Topic: 1936 ford backs up in forward gears

schmudlk    -- 08-20-2014 @ 7:38 PM
  Hello I Purchased a 1936 Ford sedan when u put it in reverse it goes forward when u put it in 1st 2nd or 3rd it goes backward any ideas out there of what could cause this

CharlieStephens    -- 08-20-2014 @ 7:49 PM
  I bet the last thing the previous owner did was rebuild the rear end. If you put the axle/ring gear in from the wrong side you will get the situation you describe.

Charlie Stephens

schmudlk    -- 08-21-2014 @ 4:18 AM
  Thanks for your in put so u are saying u can put ring gear carrier on either side of the pinion that is pretty wild. I was looking at rear end and thinking it had to be in there causing it will have to get into my old motors book and take a look

Stroker    -- 08-21-2014 @ 7:42 AM
  On the 36, the banjo center has a support web for the "straddle-mounted" pinion. This precludes inserting the ring gear from the wrong side. I suspect that you will find that the banjo housing was installed upside down. Look and see where the drain hole is. If it is on top, you have found your problem.

oakhurst    -- 08-21-2014 @ 9:34 AM
  I remember rebuilding my Model A rear end and being concerned about which side to put the ring gear on. This was in 1955 or 56 and I was about 15. After it was assembled, in order to check if we had done it properly, I asked my buddy Larry to get inside and put the trans in low gear while I tried to turn the motor over slightly with the hand crank and the ignition off, to see which way it rolled.
It rolled BACKWARDS! Then I heard Larry laughing, he had put in reverse
to trick me.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-21-2014 @ 9:46 AM
  Stroker, Thanks for the correction:

"On the 36, the banjo center has a support web for the "straddle-mounted" pinion. This precludes inserting the ring gear from the wrong side. I suspect that you will find that the banjo housing was installed upside down. Look and see where the drain hole is. If it is on top, you have found your problem."

My early V8's are '32's and I assumed that you could still get the ring gear in from the wrong side with the newer straddle mount pinion.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-21-14 @ 9:48 AM

schmudlk    -- 08-21-2014 @ 8:56 PM
  yup both plugs are facing up so do I flip the whole diff around and turn the backing plates around or just the center section

schmudlk    -- 08-21-2014 @ 9:04 PM
  that is a great story I guess u just can't depend on them larry's I asked a friend of mine about all the tails of vapor lock in the flat heads and he told me that an old timer taught him to cut a grape fruit in half and squeeze it onto the top of the fuel pump then when it dried out to replace it he claimed he never had vapor lock again

40 Coupe    -- 08-22-2014 @ 3:41 AM
  The 35-36 axle housings are the same for the RH and LH. You should not have to disassemble the axle housings from the center banjo. The assembly of the housings and banjo can be reversed. The torque tube will have to come off as well as the brake backing plates.

schmudlk    -- 08-22-2014 @ 6:40 AM
  thanks for every ones help I will turn it around I needed to do rear brakes any way has 46 merc backing plates but no shoes or anything

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7639