Topic: Hot rod??

silverchief    -- 08-20-2014 @ 12:37 PM
  I need someone with "rod" expertise.

The "gentleman" I bought my 46 coupe from bought it original, but had aspirations of making it into a really cool rod. He mounted phony spot lights, removed chrome from the trunk, discarded the original wheels, replaced them with deep dish chrome, and in order to give it the proper "rake," mounted a dropped axel in front. I spent two years and about three thousand dollars undoing his "really cool" changes.

Developed a strange rattle recently, and putting my car on the lift discovered that the original front spring clamps had been replaced with two "modified" clamps that acted as spacers - forcing the top and second leaves apart about two inches on each end. One had come loose and was rattling.

I would love to take these off and throw them away, replacing them with original correct clamps. But - I am not sure this is possible. Can I pull the top and second leaf together enough to get original clamps on? What is the purpose of these "spacers," and will removing them effect the suspension? The car drives and corners just fine now. I don't want to screw something up.

Input please.

woodiewagon46    -- 08-20-2014 @ 1:00 PM
  Any pictures? Sounds really weird to put a dropped axle in a car and then put spacers in a spring, didn't that tend to raise the car. I don't know how the spring didn't break with all the pressure exerted on the second leaf! Why not just replace the spring with the correct one?

TomO    -- 08-24-2014 @ 9:59 AM
  I would buy a new spring. The spacers were probably put in to keep the car from bottoming out. If they were, the spring is probably weak. Mike Dennis in Nebraska has some NOS springs and might have one for your car.

Tom

silverchief    -- 08-24-2014 @ 4:26 PM
  Thanks Tom but the car sits and rides normally, so I am reluctant to tear into it. Of course if a leaf breaks or something else happens - that's a whole different story.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7637