Topic: Heater motor

silverchief    -- 08-19-2014 @ 10:38 AM
  I have what appears to be original correct heater for my 46. Also have wiring schematic for the heater from this forum. I have pulled and examined connections at switch several times to compare with it. AT ONE SWITCH POSITION ONLY, the motor runs - but is so slow and weak that I can stop the fan with one finger. If fan runs at all, does this indicate the motor itself is wired correctly? Switch connections are clean. Do I need a new switch? If power to the switch comes from the ignition switch - could it be just a loose connection there?

Suggestions please.

supereal    -- 08-19-2014 @ 11:06 AM
  If it runs at all, that is a good sign. Most motors have 4 leads and a ground that attach to the rotary switch. The connections are set up to run the motor in both direction at two speeds each. There is a resistive element in the switch to control speed. I'll look for my diagram. If I find it, I'll either post it a send it to you email.

51f1    -- 08-19-2014 @ 3:02 PM
  I don't know anything specifically about this heater, but, generally:

To check the switch, check to see what the voltages are going to and coming from the switch.

Also it could be dirty and dry bushings, worn out brushes and/or shorted windings in the motor. You can usually take these types of motors apart and find out. Usually just cleaning and oiling the bushings will be all you need to do to them. You can find brushes at a shop that rebuilds alternators or small motors or from a brush supplier. You may have to file them (sand them) to fit. The leads are usually soldered in place. If the motor windings are shorted, and you can't find a working motor, it can probably be rebuilt.

Richard

51f1    -- 08-19-2014 @ 3:04 PM
  I don't know anything specifically about this heater, but, generally:

To check the switch, check to see what the voltages are going to and coming from the switch.

Also it could be dirty and dry bushings, worn out brushes and/or shorted windings in the motor. You can usually take these types of motors apart and find out. Usually just cleaning and oiling the bushings will be all you need to do to them. You can find brushes at a shop that rebuilds alternators or small motors or from a brush supplier. You may have to file them (sand them) to fit. The leads are usually soldered in place. If the motor windings are shorted, and you can't find a working motor, it can probably be rebuilt.

Richard

silverchief    -- 08-20-2014 @ 12:16 PM
  Thanks guys - appreciate both. With further "dinking"
discovered the fan turns both forward and backward - switch one stop right - and one stop left....but not fast enough that you can really feel any air. I suspect the power wire to the ignition switch - but am reluctant to tear into it, as it is already crowded with wire from directionals, radio, and the heater.

TomO    -- 08-24-2014 @ 10:05 AM
  Why don't you just remove the wire that comes from the ignition switch at the heater and connect a jumper wire from a 6 volt source to the heater switch and then try the motor?

If it runs at normal speed, then your ignition switch may not be supplying the correct voltage and will give you problems in the near future.

Tom

juergen    -- 08-24-2014 @ 5:15 PM
  I would first check out the motor. It has 4 wires, one pair powering the field coils and the other the armature. Use an ohmmeter to determine the pairing by noting which pairs have resistance (and which do not). You don't have to know which is the field pair or the armature pair.
Now twist together one side of one pair with one side of the other pair. Then do the same with the other two wires. You have wired the armature and field in parallel which should spin the motor the fastest when you put 6 volts across the twisted pairs.
Next wire the field and armature pairs in series by unwinding one of the twisted pairs and applying the 6 volts across the single wires. This should give you a lower speed.
If this works, the problem is in the switch even perhaps how you wired it.

silverchief    -- 08-28-2014 @ 1:45 PM
  Thanks guys - Ill start with the ignition switch,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7634