Topic: Whitewall cleaning & maintenance

len47merc    -- 08-18-2014 @ 2:47 PM
  Any and all experiences/tips on best products & processes for cleaning and MAINTAINING 'white' whitewalls is appreciated. Have steered away from Bleche-Wite toward a more moisturizing product such as Simple Green, though the longevity of the brightness of the white is no better. Looking for something that maintains the whitewall 'white' longer, while not causing significant/excess time in cleaning and/or long-term harm to the whitewall/rubber/tire (if this red herring exists). Thanks in advance -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-18-14 @ 2:48 PM

42guy    -- 08-18-2014 @ 4:28 PM
  I use Simple Green and the white seems to hold up real well.

fla48    -- 08-18-2014 @ 6:02 PM
  I Westleys. Leaves my tires bright white with minimal effort and lasts for several car washes.

cliftford    -- 08-18-2014 @ 6:11 PM
  Back in the day, most people used Westley's Bleech white.I Still use it and am very satisfied with it. Some people used to use sos pads, but in my opinion they were not as good. As far as I know, bleech white is still available.

trjford8    -- 08-18-2014 @ 6:39 PM
  I use "Fantastic" spray cleaner. I've had good luck with it and the whitewalls tend to stay nice an white.
On occasion I have also used "409" cleaner.

Bertha    -- 08-19-2014 @ 11:15 AM
  I use the BW also...It's no longer Westleys, but still seems to work the same.
No steel wool, gently with a green scotch pad.
Then a light coating of 303 UV Protectant.

Bob

"it's only original once""

TomO    -- 08-24-2014 @ 10:15 AM
  Bleche-white is better than a degreaser like Simple Green. Some tires will never get white, no matter what you use. Some of the tire dressings will turn nice white tires into yellow tires.

I like Coker Firestone tires for white walls. My Merc has the 6.50-16 and they look great. My Lincoln has the General Dual 90s 8.00 x 15 and they will never be white.

Tom

JT Ford    -- 08-24-2014 @ 11:46 AM
  DB does not recommend Wesley's. I still use it one car, but changed to 409 on the DB's. It doesn't work as good as Wesley's if you get black marks on them.

Jim    -- 08-25-2014 @ 7:32 PM
  Want to get your whitewalls really white? Put lacquer thinner on a white terry cloth and wipe in one direction on the white portion of the tire. The lacquer thinner gets the whitewalls super white. After they are clean, put a tire dressing (ArmourAll) on the tire. Have used this for years without any problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7630