Topic: cruising speed

stephen miller    -- 08-15-2014 @ 7:11 PM
  i have stock 33 ford station wagon with 4;11s. what is a good cruising speed?

ken ct.    -- 08-15-2014 @ 11:31 PM
  A wagon is like pushing a billboard threw the air broadside. I would say 50 to 55 mph tops with 4.11 gearing. 3.78 would push this to about 60 mph. Even better would be 3.54 if you are in flat country like fl. OMO ken ct.

supereal    -- 08-16-2014 @ 7:10 AM
  My '47, with a 3:78 and overdrive, can run at interstate highway speeds of 65-70, which I rarely do. Old cars were mostly designed for narrow two lane highways and rural gravel and dirt roads. Brakes, steering, and handling aids, such as primitive shock absorbers, were never supposed to operate at today's speeds within a margin of safety, and if you do, you become a hazard for yourself and others. Need for a sudden stop with fading drum brakes, or an evasive maneuver because someone cut in front of you, is not my idea of enjoyment.

len47merc    -- 08-16-2014 @ 10:01 AM
  Have to agree completely with supereal. I also drive a '47 (Merc, stock) with 3.78 gears/710 bias ply tires and pushed it ONE TIME on a straight (after completing full suspension and o/a safety sytems rebuilds) to 82 mph (by GPS, not the speedometer which was reading 75 mph) and was turning per my temporary tach laying on the front seat 3,750 rpm. Yes, I can run 65-70 as well with the 3.78 but to me the rpms and associated motor compartment noise are both prohibitive from engine wear and driving comfort perspectives. 'Wiggling' the wheel at these speeds to impart gentle weaving quickly reveals the limitations of the suspension and tires, so consistent with supereal's comment a required quick evasive/avoidance maneuver would be a real safety concern for everyone in the vicinity. Also after driving 65-70 mph for even a short distance of 10-20 miles or so you might be surprised to see how much heat is generated in bias ply tires.

I typically put the speedo on a cruising speed of 56 mph which equates to 60 mph GPS actual, am turning 2,600-2,750 rpm and the suspension and handling are sound and the overall ride is quiet and comfortable. I also prefer to stay on 2-lane 55 mph highways even on longer tours except when necessary, though even here I tend to let up slightly on the gas on the tighter curves and then accelerate back up to speed through the second half of the curve.

So, for a '33 wagon pushing a lot of air with 4.11s, while I have no experience with that model, consistent with ken ct's comments one would have to assume 50-55 mph max from safety, rpm/wear and o/a driving comfort perspectives.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-16-14 @ 10:38 AM

Bertha    -- 08-16-2014 @ 11:53 AM
  Only as fast as Bertha went ;

Bob

"it's only original once""

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7621