Topic: V8-60 finding TDC

Jembow    -- 08-14-2014 @ 12:20 PM
  Trying to set timing on my tin-side stock 60hp, seems impossible to see piston to find TDC through the plug hole. Do I need to pull the head? And then what should be the initial static advance and full advance settings?

ford38v8    -- 08-14-2014 @ 6:13 PM
  Jembro, Timing is set on the bench, not on the engine. The distributor is removed from the engine, rebuilt as required, and can be set by hand or preferably, with a distributor machine.

When you remove the distributor, you'll see the offset tongue on the distributor that enters the matching slot of the camshaft. It is offset that way to insure correct installation, although it can be forced 180ยบ out, which would break the distributor housing.

The Ford distributor has dual points, unlike any other I know of. You'd do well by investing in a MoToRs Manual of the era, which are readily available online or at automotive swapmeets.

Alan

supereal    -- 08-15-2014 @ 6:31 AM
  My friend Alan is giving you the right reply. If you want to find TDC on any four cycle engine. Put your finger over the spark plug hole and turn the engine until you feel compression. This puts you on the right stroke. Then turn the engine until the piston is at the top of the stroke. If you can't see the piston, use a piece of stiff wire thru the plug hole to feel when the piston is at the top. Mark that point on the crank pulley, and make a pointer to confirm the mark. As Alan points out, the Ford offset distributor tang makes the timing foolproof. That said, the distributor must be properly set to complete the timing. I have installed a TDC mark to confirm advance with a timing light when something is amiss, such as a skipped timing gear tooth, without having to disassemble the engine. It is also a big help when trying to setup those aftermarket electronic conversions.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-15-14 @ 6:32 AM

BERTHA    -- 08-15-2014 @ 12:53 PM
  I always waited for the toot to stop.

Bob

"it's only original once""

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7615