Topic: Pre-trip checklist

Classic1    -- 08-06-2014 @ 7:21 PM
  I am planning to drive my '39 Deluxe to the Central meet in Springfield. That's a little over 200 miles from home. I've never done a road trip of this distance in this particular car so I'm feeling a little nervous and want to make sure that I have covered my bases on tasks to complete before the trip. The car is new to us and unfortunately I don't have a record for when maintenance was last done. I do know that the car sat pretty much idle from last September through June. Here's what I have planned. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

1. Change oil
2. Change transmission fluid
3. Change rear differential fluid
4. Lube chasis points
5. Repack wheel bearings
6. Oil distributor lubrication points
7. Top off brake fluid

Anti-freeze was checked and looks good.

Am I missing anything obvious to those of you with more experience?

Steve
'39 DeLuxe Fordor

This message was edited by Classic1 on 8-6-14 @ 7:21 PM

JT Ford    -- 08-06-2014 @ 7:39 PM
  That looks about like my list, we will be traveling 550 miles to get there. Only thing you do not want to forget is: Air up the tires, including the spare tire.
I carry a tool box and some extra small parts....would be nice to have no rain and cool temps.

nelsb01    -- 08-06-2014 @ 7:44 PM
  Steve;
What about tires. Air pressure, tread condition.
While you're repacking wheel bearings, check brake shoe condition.

While 200 miles is not a great distance these days, dont forget to bring some replacement bulbs and fuses.

I now carry a Ford Windstar scissors jack. Works better than the original or a cylindar jack.

And most of all, leave home thinking about the great time you will have at the Meet and not about what that noise was or if you forgot anything. Wake up and look at everyday as an adventure.
See you there!

carcrazy    -- 08-06-2014 @ 10:08 PM
  With an unknown early Ford V-8 (1932 to 1948), I would carry a spare distributor that contains properly adjusted new points that has been set up on a machine. For any unknown older car, I carry a spare coil, ignition capacitor, and fuel pump. If the car burns oil, I would carry a spare set of spark plugs and a case of oil for long trips. You have already covered the other items required for piece of mind.

42wagon    -- 08-07-2014 @ 3:09 AM
  This may have been so obvious that you didn't mention it but do not use chassis grease to repack the wheel bearings. Use only a high fiber grease made for the purpose. NAPA and other have it.

ken ct.    -- 08-07-2014 @ 4:00 AM
  There are oil cups on the generator also! The spare parts list is a good idea also.Couple quarts of oil in the trunk wouldn't hurt either. Have a nice trip. ken ct.

Grant    -- 08-07-2014 @ 6:35 AM
  The EFV8 Club Roster...........

Definitely bring along your copy of the current Roster.

If the flathead gods are in a foul mood and troubles develop en route, there will be a fellow member nearby who can help. Just a phone call away.

See you at Springfield.

TomO    -- 08-07-2014 @ 7:16 AM
  Don't forget to repack the rear wheel bearings. Use Sta-lube SL-3131, available at NAPA and online.

For spare parts, I carry a distributor, coil, fuel pump, voltage regulator and spare bulbs.

Carry a tool set that includes a large adjustable wrench, channel lock pliers, large and small screwdrivers and a selection of wrenches and sockets to fit the bolts on your car.

We will see you there and hope that you have a lot of fun.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 8-7-14 @ 7:17 AM

Classic1    -- 08-07-2014 @ 10:46 AM
  Wow, thanks everyone! All good suggestions. I should mention that I was not crazy about riding around on 13 year-old tires so those are getting changed out today with a new set of Diamond Backs. Car didn't come with a spare or a jack but now I've got a new spare and I travel with a light weight aluminum floor jack. Works great but I'd like to find a nice scissors jack for travel.
Both the coil and condenser are brand new so at least I know that they are working well. Good idea to get a set of spare headlight bulbs. Anyone have a good source? Both tail tight and turn indicators have been switched out to modern LED so no problem there. Generator has also been changed to an alternator/gen so nothing to lube on that.

Planning to use Sta-Lube Drum Brake Grease SL3131 on the wheel bearings and Sta-Lube 140W for the rear end and gearbox. Still deliberating on the engine oil type and viscosity. I've seen a lot of references here to Casrtol 20-50 but wondering if that's too heavy? I have nothing to base that on, just curious.

Steve
'39 DeLuxe Fordor

cliftford    -- 08-07-2014 @ 3:19 PM

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case; keep the fluid levels about 1/2 to 3/4 in below the fill holes to minimise chance of leakage.

Grant    -- 08-08-2014 @ 5:24 AM
  Wagner 6006 headlamps have worked pretty well for us. Pretty much any automotive supplier should be able to obtain a pair for you........about $10.00 each in this neck of the woods.

Classic1    -- 08-08-2014 @ 2:40 PM
  Wagner 6006 won't work for me. The '39 was the last year for a non-sealed beam system. Uses a smaller replaceable bulb. I've seen it at Dennis Carpenter but looking for other suppliers.

Steve
'39 DeLuxe Fordor

Kens 36    -- 08-08-2014 @ 6:35 PM
  Steve,

Do you know the number you need for your headlight bulbs? I may have some.

Ken

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7582