Topic: Philco FT-6 radio in my '35 Phaeton

foto1man    -- 07-27-2014 @ 4:57 PM
  Hello everyone,

While removing a Philco FT-6 radio from my '35 Phaeton. I noticed a strip of wood that was put in between the back of the radio and the firewall. It was put between the two mounting bolts and it looks as though maybe it was put there to allow for air circulation, I guess??
Was this strip of wood done like this from the factory?
Or was it added somewhere along the line for whatever reason? Is it needed?
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kenneth

fenbach    -- 07-27-2014 @ 7:41 PM
  kenneth,
i have 2 references with instructions for installing a radio above the steering column, a MANUAL OF INSTALLATION, apparently from FMC and a chapter of a book called FORD V-8 CARS AND TRUCKS, author Victor Page' [pa-jay] mentioned in this thread http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/printthread.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4940
neither mentions a strip of wood nor any other kind of spacer. no harm done however, i'd say.
bob

foto1man    -- 07-27-2014 @ 9:04 PM
  Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I'll read their posts.

Thanks again,
Kenneth

wmsteed    -- 07-30-2014 @ 10:36 AM
  I'm the second owner of a '36 5 window coupe, which I have owned for over sixty-one years. My car has the factory Philco radio mounted above the steering column.
I have a couple of spare radios, one of them being the '35 style..
I have had a lot of experience with the '35-37 Fords, all of which use the same type of radio.
I have never seen any kind of a spacer,wood or metal, between the radio receiver box and the firewall insulation pad.
I have noted that the original "T" headed mounting bolts can tend to be a little long, extending above the nuts by an inch or so...
On my car I cut the bolts down and installed chrome acorns over the nuts to give them a more finished look.
I can see no need for the wood spacers, the tubes, etc., are located in the receiver box away from the firewall, only the wiring is in the back side of the box, therefore, there is minimal heat built up there.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

foto1man    -- 07-30-2014 @ 3:43 PM
  Thanks Bill for the reply,
I have installed the radio back in the car using the original "T" headed mounting bolts and they seem to be just fine. I have left out the wood spacer, what someone seems to have used for possibly to allow for more air circulation. Who knows??

Thanks again,
Kenneth

flatheadfan    -- 07-31-2014 @ 11:33 PM
  Kenneth-

I have owned several '35s and '36s over the years (I currently have one of each) and have never seen a wood strip(s) between the firewall and the radio. However, this might not be a bad idea. With the radio box installed the lower right-hand corner of the box tends to dig/rip into the firewall mat. With a couple of wood strips the radio box would be lifted enough that would probably prevent this from happening.

As for the special bolts that hold the radio box to the firewall, at first glance they appear to be longer than needed. But, from my experience, I find the longer length is really needed to install and remove the radio. Shorten bolts would make an easy job more "challenging!"

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7550