Topic: Low Battery, Engine turns but Engine won''t start

foto1man    -- 07-22-2014 @ 1:15 PM
  Hello everyone,
I was working on the radio in my 1935 that has 6 volt positive ground and I guess I ran the battery down somewhat. When I tried to start the engine, the engine would turn over but the engine wouldn't start. When I charged the battery back up and tried to start the engine again, it started immediately with no hesitation. My question is, Is there a threshold for the battery of stored power when it will turn the engine but won't start it? Does this make sense?
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Kenneth Hatcher

supereal    -- 07-22-2014 @ 2:07 PM
  It is likely that the battery was so low that there was not enough left to feed the ignition coil at least 3 volts when the starter was used. If it starts just as the button is released, that is a sure sign. I just pulled my '47 out of storage, ran the electric pump enough to refill the carb, and hit the starter button. It took right off, thanks to the Optima battery that has over 800 amps of cold cranking power. That battery is over 7 years old!

42wagon    -- 07-22-2014 @ 2:28 PM
  I had the same problem when I tried to start my 42 last spring. Nothing seemed to do the trick until I recharged the battery. Then it started just fine.

BERTHA    -- 07-27-2014 @ 3:49 AM
  IMHO....the newer Optima batteries have lost a good deal of their former luster.

Bob

"it's only original once""

cliftford    -- 07-27-2014 @ 7:09 AM
  I have heard that the newer optima bstteries are not as good as they used to be. What has been your experience?

MICHV8    -- 07-27-2014 @ 8:09 AM
  Related question...my 36 will often turn very slowly with an older battery and then suddenly start to "race" at which time it quickly starts. Is this a matter of the fuel mixture taking time to reach the combustion chamber?
Thanks!

TomO    -- 07-29-2014 @ 7:26 AM
  Michv8,

It could be your battery or the cables. Check the voltage across the battery when cranking. It should not fall below 4.8 volts. If it does, the battery needs charging or if it cannot be charged, replaced.

If the battery voltage is OK, you should check the voltage drop to the starter and the ground circuit back to the battery. The voltage drop to the starter should be .3 volts or less and the ground circuit should be the same. Correct any high resistance points.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-29-2014 @ 5:00 PM
  I can't speak about the "new" Optimas, but mine have all been flawless. The one in my '47 is seven years old, and started the car after eight months of storage.

TomO    -- 07-30-2014 @ 8:36 AM
  Mine is 6 years old and still going strong.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7531