Topic: Fords overheating history?

MICHV8    -- 07-09-2014 @ 6:31 AM
  This is simply a mystery to me. How did Ford stay in business selling cars that overheated? It seems once they changed from the head mounted pump that pulled (or attempted to pull) water through the jacket to the block mounted pump that pushed water through the engine, overheating diminished somewhat, right? But how can you compete for years with major auto companies when your own engines overheat? I don't get it, but is fun to think about the days long ago...

TomO    -- 07-09-2014 @ 8:15 AM
  Mich,

When these car were new, there was much less traffic on the roads, the castings did not have years of lime and rust deposits on them, there were fewer thin spots cause by rust in the castings and the original radiators supplied by Ford had much better heat transfer capabilities that the current cores available. In other words, they did not overheat as often as they do now.

I have an original Ford radiator with its original core. It is ugly with several tubes pinched shut and many bent fins. I put it in my car while my other radiator was in for repair. The car ran much cooler with the ugly radiator than with my pretty re-cored radiator. The copper in the tubes is much heavier than the re-cored one and there are more fins per inch the new core. The fins are also slightly different in shape.

Back in 1950, I had a 34 Chevrolet that ran like a steam kettle, while the 34 Ford needed thermostats in the summer to get up to operating temperature. The Chevy radiator was in poor shape and another junk yard radiator helped with the cooling, but did not fix it.

Most of the straight 8 engines of the 30's and early 40's were very hard to keep cool in the post war years.

Tom

cliftford    -- 07-09-2014 @ 8:21 PM
  Back in the day, we would drain the antifreeze in the spring, and use plain water,with rust inhibitor through the summer, amd replace the antifreeze in the fall. Of course, water will cool better than antifreeze.

This message was edited by cliftford on 7-9-14 @ 8:22 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7495