Topic: Convertible top pump

flathead48    -- 07-06-2014 @ 10:23 AM
  Looking for the best way to prime a Duro pump on my 48Ford , worked fine when I took it off been sitting about a year, using ATF thanks

supereal    -- 07-08-2014 @ 6:47 PM
  If the pump isn't running, it is likely the power is being interrupted by a switch or bad connection. If it is running, but not pumping, and the system is original, the hydraulic cylinders are either jammed, or the internal seals may have failed. Most systems that used the original brake fluid should have components replaced. If the reservoir is full, and you don't see ATF leaking , replacement is the only reliable fix.

flathead48    -- 07-08-2014 @ 7:02 PM
  Thanks Supereal, the pump is starting to work, I disconnected the cylinders from the top and worked them up and down with the pump and then hooked the top to it. Having a problem with the control switch now. Seems the throw is excessive and every once in a while it spits out some ATF . Thanks again for your expert advice.

supereal    -- 07-09-2014 @ 11:02 AM
  You are welcome. I designed, built, and installed my own convertible top control. The original was unreliable, and now it takes less than a minute to raise or lower.

flathead48    -- 07-10-2014 @ 3:26 AM
  Supereal, I would guess you are not using the original 6 volt pump?

supereal    -- 07-10-2014 @ 10:53 AM
  I am using an aftermarket pump from Hydro-E-Lectric. The original firewall pump was missing when I got the car, and two supposedly good used pumps were not useable. Those pumps collected moisture in the reservoir at the bottom,and when it froze, the gears in the pump were ruined. Original type replacements were very expensive, and the combination switch and valve were gone, as was the original plumbing. The pump I use is placed behind the rear seat, along with the control box, where it can't been seen ahead of the spare tire. To raise and lower the top, the motor changes direction. My control box is fed directly from the battery, and is controlled by the dash switch sent with the pump, That arrangement just wasn't adequate to make the pump really work, as the switch was too light, and the loss in the wiring from front to the back was undersized. Now, I can raise and lower the top in less than a minute. I made another one for a customer of our shop, and left the original in place for show purposes.

flathead48    -- 07-12-2014 @ 5:19 AM
  Supereal, looking at that diagram, I think you should have worked for NASA

supereal    -- 07-12-2014 @ 7:15 AM
  Thanks. In my earlier life, I designed circuitry for a variety of applications, and old habits are hard to break. It gave me something to do while I waited to fix equipment for the radio company where I was chief engineer.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7486