Topic: replace a starter on a 1939 Sedan

djvice    -- 07-02-2014 @ 5:23 PM
  Anyone have a resource for instructions on removing and replacing a starter on a 1939 sedan?

ford38v8    -- 07-02-2014 @ 7:57 PM
  That's a pretty straight forward job. The only thing that is a bit tricky is to hold the starter together as you remove it, because the two long bolts that hold it together must be removed from the engine.

Start by disconnecting the battery, then the starter cable. Then remove the support clip from the front of the starter to the pan rail. Early Fords didn;t have that support, but use one when reinstalling. Then the two long bolts and that about does it.

When reinstalling, be sure no paint on the mating surfaces, as that is the only ground connection.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 07-02-2014 @ 8:28 PM
  I would like to expand a little on Alan's post in case you haven't been through it before. The starter is held together and also held onto the flywheel housing by two bolts that have about 3/8 heads (7/16?) and don't look strong enough to hold a starter. The heads of these bolts are on the front end of the starter. Remove these two bolts and the starter will come off of the flywheel housing. As Alan said, it will come apart if you are not careful.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-2-14 @ 8:35 PM

42wagon    -- 07-03-2014 @ 11:22 AM
  Just to expand further on what Charlie is saying. Do not remove the two bolts. Only make sure they are no longer threaded into the flywheel housing. Do not pull them out of the starter. If you are careful the starter will hold together if the bolts are still in it. If they are not all you have is a handful of pieces. Don't ask me how I know.

CharlieStephens    -- 07-03-2014 @ 11:33 AM
  And after the starter is out put a nut on each of the two bolts to keep things together.

Charlie Stephens

ford38v8    -- 07-03-2014 @ 1:29 PM
  Charlie & Wagon, I think you guys put the icing on the cake! If djvise gets it wrong now, it's all on him!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7472