Topic: Super Bright Tail Light Bulbs

Steves46    -- 02-04-2010 @ 5:44 PM
  I noticed Sacramento Vintage Ford has the 6 volt super bright tail light bulbs (50/14 candlepower) in their catalog. Would this tax the generator output or is it pretty safe to use with a stock system? Thanks.

Wolfie    -- 02-04-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  I bought these brake light bulbs from Sacramento Vintage Ford about five months ago and I haven't had any problems with my generator output. I have an Optima battery. I wouldn't be afraid to try them, and they are a very inexpensive modification.

4dFordSC    -- 02-04-2010 @ 6:44 PM
  I've been using them for five years with no problem. For maximum benefit, also paint the insides of your tail light buckets white.

Steves46    -- 02-05-2010 @ 7:11 AM
  Thank you very much for your feedback; I will give them a try.

supereal    -- 02-05-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  Don't expect a vast improvement. We have tried both "super bright" and halogen bulbs in taillights with mixed results. LED replacements appear to be better, and draw a fraction of the current.

carguy    -- 02-08-2010 @ 5:05 AM
  I've found that covering the inside of the tail lamp housing with shiny aluminum foil works well to increase the brightness of tail lights. If the foil has some wrinkles that seems to help. This assumes that one is using a standard, not a LED, bulb. because the LED light is so very straight line directional the finish on the inside of the housing doesn't seem to help much.

49inthefastlane    -- 02-08-2010 @ 2:41 PM
  Who has 6-volt LED lights and are they red? Thanks.

donclink    -- 02-08-2010 @ 5:13 PM
  SuperBrightLEDs carries 6 volt 1156 (Single Contact) and 1157 (Dual Contact) type bulbs. They come in Red, White, and Amber, and the 1157 type contain 19 LEDs per bulb. Price for Red is $7.95 per bulb.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/1156_57-x12-24V.htm

I use these in the tail lights on my '47 Tudor, and am very happy with them. I also have the BrakeLighter 6V LED 3rd Stop Light/Turn Signal bar in the rear window. I found that after installing the LED 3rd brake light, the regular stop/turn signal bulbs were really slow compared to the instantaneous LED lamps. With the LED tail lights, they all turn on at the same time. I also installed one of the Low Pressure Brake Light Switches from Ron Francis Wiring. It was only after I could see the reflection of the 3rd brake light in the rear window,that I realized how much pressure it required to turn on, and keep the brake lights lit. Now, they light up with just the slightest touch of the brake pedal. I still use the regular 6v bulbs in the front park/turn lamps, as they provide the load for the flasher unit.
I wrote up a presentation on the theory and use of LED lamps for a local club meeting a couple of years ago. It's available on our website:

http://norgv8club.org/norg/index.php/headliner-newsletters-and-tech-tips/category/10-norg-tech-tips

BrianCT    -- 02-09-2010 @ 7:19 AM
  Has anyone used the LED bulb with Bluedot lenses?
I wonder if the non-dispersive nature of the light will mean a lot of loss through the blue area. I know many people don't like bluedots but we are all enjoying are youth.

supereal    -- 02-09-2010 @ 11:07 AM
  I have blue dots on my '47, and it does appear that they are less bright than the standard lenses. I installed an LED "third" stoplight on my car, and it is very bright. It is designed to mount inside the rear window with suction cups, but on my open car, I put it atop the rear license plate. As for the switch, most are OK with regular DOT3 brake fluid, but the silicone DOT5 seems to interfere with the operation. The "fix" is a switch designed for Harley-Davidson bikes.

donclink    -- 02-09-2010 @ 1:17 PM
  Brian, LED bulbs operate in a very narrow band of the color spectrum, based on the color of the bulb itself. Incandescent bulbs give off all colors of the spectrum, and will shine through any colored lenses.

LEDs will not. White LEDs will not shine through a red lens with the same intensity as red LEDs. Red LEDs through the blue dot of a red lens, completely filtered out....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=747