Topic: Switching to Alternator

murphy1936    -- 06-28-2014 @ 1:51 PM
  Any best place to get 6vpositive alternator. .? Special vendors??

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

supereal    -- 06-28-2014 @ 3:53 PM
  C&G (1-800-266-0470) has a complete kit with the necessary mounting kit. For your '41, 91A-10300-K6. If your car has a later year engine, be sure to tell them. The catalog price is $195.00 It uses a 50 amp, one wire system.

murphy1936    -- 06-28-2014 @ 8:13 PM
  Thank you question a 50 amp output would that cause early burnout on lights??

Stroker    -- 06-29-2014 @ 6:59 AM
  Murphy1936: Amps are just a rating of the ability of the alternator to provide a given "volume" of current. Volts are the "pressure" being applied. Lights burn out prematurely due to too much voltage. So, 50 amps will not affect your lights, but will simply keep up with your use of current easily. I know this is an oversimplification, but with apologies to Supereal, I've found it useful for the electrically-challenged old folks like me who don't trust anything that they can't see move.

4dFordSC    -- 06-29-2014 @ 8:09 AM
  Ed Whitney in Buena Park, CA, can convert your generator to an alternator and preserve the original look and fit. Send him the end plates from your generator and he does the rest.

Ed Whitney, (714) 773-1611.

TomO    -- 06-29-2014 @ 8:14 AM
  Before you make the switch, be aware that the alternator may not spin at a high enough rpm to function properly.

The generator that came with your car will put out 35 amps, which is plenty to keep your battery charged.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-29-2014 @ 6:50 PM
  I did find that the one wire alternator didn't spin fast enough to come on without revving the engine above normal, so I made a smaller pulley for the unit. The downside is that the belt has to be verry tight to prevent slippage . This has the effect of damaging the old style bushing water pumps. Installing the new ball bearing pumps will prevent the evential leakage. If I was going to do it again, I't opt fpr the two wire alternator that is turned on from the ignition curcuit. If you look at modern cars, you will find that the crank pulley diameter is considerably larger than the alternator, so it turns much faster than the relative slow turning flathead can provide.

murphy1936    -- 06-29-2014 @ 8:07 PM
  Thank you ALL for giving me choices. It appears that if one goes to alternator water pumps might be effected by tight belts .i kinda lean towards the moder update of existing generator but I need to know more about it as what is the-amperage output and are there any modifications that have to be made John

carcrazy    -- 06-29-2014 @ 8:53 PM
  If you are willing to go to a 6 or 12 Volt negative ground alternator you can obtain them from Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts at 785-632-3450. They also publish and have available "The Official 12-Volt Conversion Guide" which will answer your alternator questions on how to change your electrical system for maximum performance.

TomO    -- 06-30-2014 @ 6:53 AM
  My experience has been that the more modifications from stock that a car has, the more problems that it has.

Alternators became necessary when air conditioning became common. The air conditioner requires more current at low speeds than a generator can deliver. A generator will deliver enough current to keep a battery fully charged in most non-air conditioned cars.

Tom

murphy1936    -- 06-30-2014 @ 1:43 PM
  Sounds like stay the game is satisfactory so I will do that until problem arises. We seem to be charging ok I will check it out Thks all again John

cliftford    -- 06-30-2014 @ 5:17 PM
  I agree with the other posts. If you keep your charging system in good condition,ie; clean connections, good grounds, proper belt adjustmemt, and use a good optima battery, it will give you many hours of trouble free service. Don't forget to put a couple drops of oil in the gen. every 1000 miles or so. The biggest problem I've ever had is the brushes wearing out, but they should last 40-50k miles or so. GC

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7462