Topic: Macs core return policy.

Gary M.    -- 02-04-2010 @ 4:29 PM
  I recently purchased some parts from Macs for a clutch change.One of the parts was a pressure plate which I assumed would be a rebuilt because they wanted a rebuildable core which they held $40.00 ransom until I returned the old one.Normally a company will send a return shipping tag along with the order that way all you have to do is put the old one back in the same box and send it off.According to customer service at Macs,I am responsable for the return shipping charge,which I thought was unfair.There is no mention of the customer being responsible for return shipping charge of a core on the yellow return form enclosed in every order.My argument is that I did not recieve a rebuilt,but a new reproduction part clearly marked made in China.If they sent me a new part,why do they need an old part back? Customer service claims it is so that they can rebuild it and resell it.Now doesnt that mean they are making double the money off the sale of one part? Also they are sticking me with the return shipping bill which I estimate to be about a third of the core ransom charge that they are holding.Is it just me,or does this sound like bad business policy? Id like to hear other opinions..Thanks...

ford38v8    -- 02-04-2010 @ 5:01 PM
  Gary, I'm with you, it doesn't sound right, particularly as you are trading an American made core for a China made replacement. The normal assumption (and implied warranty) would be that you would receive like kind.

Before you do anything, though, I'd check with C&G on policy and availability of American made. I'd be wary of putting any chinese parts into my car in any case. You're stuck for shipping either way, but much better off with American made.

Alan

40guy    -- 02-04-2010 @ 5:36 PM
  In this economy we are in right now, everyone is grabbing money anyway they can. Sounds like they got the gold mine and you got the shaft, as Jerry Reed once sang. A China clutch to boot? I hope it will last a few months for you anyway.

37 Coupe    -- 02-04-2010 @ 5:44 PM
  I aggree not right to have to provide a core or pay a core charge on a new not rebuilt part,shipping cost on a core is usually put on the buyer. I would look at this as a blessing myself,send it back ,I would not and will not use China or any foreign parts if possible especially parts like clutch or engine and transmission internals that are a job to replace. Lots of guys on Fordbarn swear by Fort Wayne Indiana clutch rebuilder,myself I was always lucky to find NOS Genuine or Ford rebuilt parts from guys like Bob Selzam in New Jersey or Stacy Brown in Arlington Texas,just make sure you ask even these guys if USA or China made as I haven't bought anything for couple years. I learned my lesson about five years ago with Mac's,was told after complainng about a whole shipment I received and all Chinese I was told I should have asked beforehand,sent all back (my cost shipping) and only thing I get from the now is a catolog every year.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-04-2010 @ 6:32 PM
  why not send the all the parts back,pay the shipping, get your refund, and buy AMERICAN made parts,
call a few venders and ask were there parts come from,
I saw a AD from JOBLOT in NY,and had a special on clutches, you might want to give them a call,
or try the V8 SHOP in BALSTON SPA NY,
I bought parts from MAC 20 YEARS ago, wheel cylinders,
one started to leak as I was bleeding the brakes,
it was hard to figure this out why I was not getting a brake pedal,
that was the last time I bought from them,
just my 2 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

39 Ken    -- 02-05-2010 @ 4:09 AM
  Send the china parts back and get your money. Send your clutch to Ft. Wayne Clutch for a rebuild. Quality work at a fair price.

Grant    -- 02-05-2010 @ 4:30 AM
  I agree that the Chinese cr*p should be used only as an absolute last resort.....carburetors, clutches, bearings, whatever.....pretty much anything genuine Ford or even North American jobber parts are vastly superior.

As far as Mac's is concerned, I too had a bad experience and will never purchase their products again.

For the last several years I've been dealing with Dave at Yesteryear Ford in Michigan.....great service, free tech line, friendly & knowledgable, does rebuilds, and will get you the repro stuff at competitive prices if that's what you want.

mdsbob    -- 02-05-2010 @ 6:04 AM
  I'll jump in and add my 2 cents...
I believe I would send the new China clutch back, eat the shipping and chalk it up to lesson learned.
I would include a nicely written note that while the price seemed attractive, the quality of the parts was far less than you are willing to settle for. Also mention that the price of shipping from them to you and then back to them was not enough to make you willing to settle for less.
Then start my search for a vendor that will rebuild yours or exchange an American made.
You never know...Extending the olive branch may get an offer of refund on shipping charges.

This message was edited by mdsbob on 2-5-10 @ 6:05 AM

Alan    -- 02-05-2010 @ 2:13 PM
  This may come as a bit of a shock to you but nothing much is made in the good old USA anymore, they may tell you it is but most of it is made off shore. Labour costs mean that most manufacturers get there goods made in China, Taiwan & India they just don't advertise it.
Alan

tbloss    -- 02-05-2010 @ 2:17 PM
  Gary M. I quit Macs over some made in China brake parts several years ago. Send the parts back, pay the shipping and get the junk out of your garage. I have had good luck with Fort Wayne Clutch. Very good parts and labor and materials from the USA.. Tom.

47Fordor    -- 02-05-2010 @ 4:12 PM
  Hey, on the topic of new china vs. rebuilt parts: I see a lot of rebuild kits for brake master and wheel cylinders, carbs & fuel pumps etc. More work but you'll put more care into the job than somebody in China. Of course, the kits are probably made in China. Anybody have any thoughts?

Chris

Gary M.    -- 02-05-2010 @ 4:37 PM
  Oh boy,I never knew how many dissatisfied x customers of Macs were in the V8 club! Maybe that would be a great way to open their eyes to their many wrong doings. Send them a letter letting them know that the largest Early Ford club in America has so many complaints about their business ethics. The problem is getting the letter into the right hands at the company. It seems to me that every time I call their customer service,I just speak to another uncaring employee. Thanks for all of your input on the subject...

ians34    -- 02-05-2010 @ 7:00 PM
  How you doing fella's. My big gripe with Macs is also about freight. They have a hidden packaging charge which they include in the freight bill. I have complained to them many times but I nothing ever happens. My other complaint with them is they have this strange idea that I like to pay to ship rolls and rolls of newspaper around the world. I offered to send them a knife so that they could teach the staff how to cut down a box for more efficient freight instead of filling it up with paper and foam. Again no response. I also have given up on Macs.

supereal    -- 02-06-2010 @ 12:15 PM
  We stopped buying from Mac's after we found several ignition point sets that were shorted, and they claimed "no one else complained" (of course), and that they were American made, which they obviously were not. The only way vendors get the message is when buyers turn to other, more dependable, sources.

Gary M.    -- 02-06-2010 @ 4:26 PM
  I still think its a good idea to let them know how many dissatisfied Early Ford V8 club members there are out there! With any luck they will improve their P.R. and turn over a new leaf. Some of their items are tricky to get elswhere and also their prices are not bad,however it only takes one bad experience to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

40merc    -- 02-06-2010 @ 5:12 PM
  glad i stumbled across this topic, i have been buying from macs for the past year and it seems like one or two parts out of every order are incorrect to my car. my biggest bug that ive had to pick recently was i ordered a fuel pump to carb fuel line, i was told by a sales rep that it was copper plated steel line, when i received it, it was just copper line, i paid probably 400% over for a foot long piece of copper line that i already had.

Gary M.    -- 02-06-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  Maybe I should just tell customer service at Macs to read this post! Its self explanatory....

tbloss    -- 02-07-2010 @ 9:01 AM
  I doubt you will see much change from Macs. They have to many Chinese parts in inventory..

BERTHA    -- 02-08-2010 @ 6:42 AM
  Living 20mi away from Macs I have a definite advantage,
Learned a long time ago how hard it is buying anything for "Bertha" without laying eyes on it beforehand.

Have used this outfit several times for anything Clutch, most areas should have a local builder..http://buffaloclutch.com/..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=746