Topic: 1934 Fordor Roof details

Keith    -- 06-24-2014 @ 10:54 PM
  I am hoping that someone in your club can assist me with information about details of the roof for a 1934 Ford Fordor Sedan.

I am restoring an Australian built car which although has major differences in the body as compared to the US cars the roof should be the same detail.

Particularly I would like to know just how the roof bows are supported and attached to the steel aperture, also how the Vinyl covering is attached.

The information that I have suggests that the transverse timber bows are nailed to a timber perimeter frame, which is then attached to the steel roof and then the Vinyl is tacked to this timber also. I have the Aluminium cover strip but not sure exactly where this is positioned.

Some photos would be very helpful.

I have a copy of the 1933/34 restorers book but seems this doesn’t show any of the details that I need.

Any information would be very appreciated.

40 Coupe    -- 06-25-2014 @ 4:03 AM
  My 5-W has tube nuts extending down from the inside of the top. The wood bows go over the tubes and are attached with special rectangular convex washers and 1/4-20 bolts with lock washers.
The soft top starts with a layer of "chicken wire" then a linen cloth and then cotton batting and finally the soft top material. All of this is tacked to the perimeter of the opening. There is a metal channel with tack strip inside the metal, through the perimeter. To finish off the top is a metal finish strip made of three pieces and formed to the opening. The ends as well as the four corners are scr*w*d to the tack strip and there are tacks through the rest of the metal finish strip. Lastly a rubber seal to cover the tacks and screws in the metal finish strip.

40 Coupe    -- 06-25-2014 @ 4:05 AM
  One more photo

Keith    -- 06-25-2014 @ 3:48 PM
  Thank you very much for the information and photos, it is very helpful.

Just one question do you any photos or more detail about the metal channel and tack strip ?

Regards

Keith

1934 Ford    -- 06-25-2014 @ 6:30 PM
  40 Coupe,
Is that 3 piece metal rail/tack strip available anywhere?
Thanks for such a good reply with photo's, even good photo's. Very nice.

1934 Ford's since 1972

David J    -- 06-25-2014 @ 6:58 PM
  Pic is a mid 33 std 4D and is the same as 34 . The top strip is nailed and also bolted double in all 4 corners . These bolts are small and you will see the two holes in each corner if unmolested and like a US car . The strip it nails into is really hard paper crimped into a metal channel . This is caulked and riveted into the channel formed into the actual roof panel . Only one pic per so I will post two ,

David J    -- 06-25-2014 @ 6:58 PM
  Anna nudder

40 Coupe    -- 06-26-2014 @ 3:55 AM
  The final metal trim in my photo is a replacement aluminum sold by all of the trim suppliers. The thing about the final trim is it has to be bent, if you try to bend it without the proper tools the center channel can collapse. Mark Mitch*ll in CA has the tools for bending the trim but the process is $$$. I am sure the $ pays for the tooling as well as redoing any pieces that are not close to fitting. By this time he probably has the dimensions for all of the soft tops and doesn't have to re-do much.
The metal and tack strip inside of it, are riveted to the top, if your tack strip is not in good condition you may consider filling voids with RTV and using #2 stainless screws to attach the final trim, or just replacing sections of the tack strip that are missing.

1934 Ford    -- 06-29-2014 @ 10:44 AM
  I agree, good instructions. I'll add a few tips for the do it yourselfers (Without a lift), like me.
To do it in you home garage, face the car in to leave space behind the car to get your floor jack under the banjo when it's time to lower the rearend. Also remove the rear wheels. This does two things, 1. It keeps the car low enough to get in an out to extract the transmission. 2. Allows the rearend to move back farther and roll out from under the fenders on the drums.
It can be a one guy job, but a helper makes it faster and more fun. I like the battery strap tip too!

1934 Ford's since 1972

AP    -- 05-26-2019 @ 3:37 PM
  I am also looking for the soft roof information as I am restoring a flood damaged 1934 Ford Fordor deluxe sedan located in India. Appreciate if anyone can guide me where I can get details of the roof restoration guide. I am specially looking for the curvature of the roof which I believe the original roof design must have had to drain rain water (no puddling). I was told Rattan (Cane) inserts in metallic guides in place of the paper material is a good alternative. Thanks

supereal    -- 06-04-2019 @ 11:03 AM
  When I did my first top replacement, on a Model A, a pro gave me a valuable tip. If you are using original (old) wooden parts of the top, apply a filler, such as Bondo, over the existing nail holes. This is a trick well known to upholsterers of antique furniture. It is essential that all tacks holding the top material be secure to prevent loosening which will show as creases in the final job.

AP    -- 10-08-2020 @ 8:37 AM
  Can you kindly provide Mark Mitch CA contact

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7452