Topic: Decoding a 35 5 window vin number please

lazy69ranch    -- 06-24-2014 @ 7:51 PM
  Looking for help validating and decoding a vin number from a 35 5 window coupe I'm considering.
Can you help from the info in the photos? Any and all info this outlines would be appreciated.

In addition to the vin plate, it has another plate with the number 18 faintly painted on it preceding the following characters stamped. The plate looks like it says "Body...????mer" with 770 4II8 stamped on it.

CharlieStephens    -- 06-24-2014 @ 8:48 PM
  The number on the frame only says that the engine/transmission passed final inspection in January 1935 and a number was assigned to the assembly and stamped into the transmission case (ref "The Early Ford V8 As Henry Built It, page 31) It was possibly a couple off months later when the vehicle went down the assembly line and the number on the transmission case was stamped into the frame. The I (alpha) is actually Fords way of showing a 1 (numeric). Nice clear number on the frame, I assume it matches the paperwork. If the transmission was replaced the number will no longer match the frame number. DMV will probably insist on using the number on the frame. The 770 indicates it is a 5 window coupe body and the 4118 says it was the 4118th body produced. Someone with more knowledge (or maybe a copy of the restoration guidelines from the club, which, by the way you should have a copy of) can tell you who built the body.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-24-14 @ 9:28 PM

42wagon    -- 06-25-2014 @ 3:24 AM
  n identification number stamped on them. The Fords from the 30s and 40s did not have such a plate. Instead Ford used the motor serial number for identification purposes starting with *18-1* in 1932 and working there way up until WWII. When the engine was assembled the number was stamped on the top of the transmission case at the Rouge engine plant. Then the motor was shipped to an assembly plant. Here the motor number was stamped in three places along the left frame rail. The one near the engine is visible, the other are under the body. This is the number that should be used to identify your car. There may be body number plates as Ford subcontracted with other to build the bodies. These number may be of interest but they should not be used for titling the car.

wmsteed    -- 06-28-2014 @ 7:57 AM
  OK, it has been pretty well explained that the EV8 Ford serial numbers where assigned to the engine/trans assembly, then said number (s) were stamped into the frame becoming the vehicle serial number used for identification purposes.
Other than the first two numbers, i.e.(18) which denotes the engine, and the last five or so numbers denoting the build sequence, there is no other info contained therein to track the factory of origin, etc..
Body numbers were only assigned to bodies that were out-sourced, Murray and/or Briggs, in lieu of being built within the Ford plant..
As it has been pointed out, the body number on an EV8 is not used as a means to identify the vehicle, however, in some cases, the body numbers were used as a means of identification..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 06-28-2014 @ 8:22 AM
  OK, it has been pretty well explained that the EV8 Ford serial numbers where assigned to the engine/trans assembly, then said number (s) were stamped into the frame becoming the vehicle serial number used for identification purposes.
Other than the first two numbers, i.e.(18) which denotes the engine, and the last five or so numbers denoting the build sequence, there is no other info contained therein to track the factory of origin, etc..
Body numbers were only assigned to bodies that were out-sourced, Murray and/or Briggs, in lieu of being built within the Ford plant..
As it has been pointed out, the body number on an EV8 is not used as a means to identify the vehicle, however, in some cases, the body numbers were used as a means of identification..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Don Rogers    -- 06-28-2014 @ 12:05 PM
  Lazy69Ranch....Your 18-1385915 serial number together with your body number of 4118 would indicate to me that you have an early Jan 1935 5w-coupe. I say early because of the low body number. There were 78,477 std. 5-window coupes made and 33,065 deluxe. I'm taking a guess that you have a deluxe 5-window!!!!

Enclosed is a picture of a Murray body plate which seems to be consistant with your plate description. Also. I believe that Murray made all the 5-window bodies for Ford in 1935.

Hope that this helps you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7451