Topic: 40 Ford Dlx Front Stabalizer Bar

svmsr1044    -- 06-23-2014 @ 8:32 AM
  Can anyone tell me about the differences in 40 stabilizer bars. My 40 has a bar without the usual stabilizer swivels
Thanks, svm1044

TomO    -- 06-23-2014 @ 9:06 AM
  Is your 40 an early car with the ashtray doors that slide up into the dash? If so, you could have the early type stabilizer, that was replaced on most cars. If you could post a photo, it would help.

Tom

svmsr1044    -- 06-23-2014 @ 9:59 AM
  Hi Tom, My 40 has the ash tray knobs at the top, glass bugs are dated 1-40, 2-40. Wheels are stamped 2-40; yet, the car has the different stabilizer (early style?) Just wondering what's up with that. The unit is definitely factory. Why and when were they changed during production?

cliftford    -- 06-23-2014 @ 3:02 PM
  On most all fords, changes took place just about any time in a model year, It usually took place when existing parts were used up.

kubes40    -- 06-23-2014 @ 5:12 PM
  The early version of sway bar was actually installed well in to March, 1940 when it was replaced by the second and final design sway bar for 1940. These days they are VERY scarce. In fact, I have one, and have seen only one more complete assembly in all my years.
Why? Well, it appears the early design was rather complicated (read: expensive to produce) and actually did not perform very well. Nearly all were replaced when the car was serviced at a Ford Garage after the second design was readily available. More often than not, the replacement was done without the owners knowledge.
On the concourse, a properly restored 1940 Ford built prior to March, should have the early design bar on it.
I have attached a photo of the early design bar (assembly).
Kind regards, Mike Kubarth

kubes40    -- 06-23-2014 @ 5:13 PM
  Here's a photo of the second and final design bar.

40 Coupe    -- 06-24-2014 @ 4:11 AM
  The parts necessary to assemble the early bar are hard to find. Ford eventually had their dealers return new parts, on their shelf, for the early stabilizer back to the factory for credit, where they were destroyed. Some dealers did not return the parts back in time for the credit and were left with the parts, so you may find some parts. Because Ford had a lot of problems with the early bar there were several fixes involving new modified parts.
Ford had the dealers replace the early stabilizer bar if the car owner complained of noise. Only if the vehicle was still under Fords short warranty and then only if the new style stabilizer was available.
Many of the original early stabilizers were removed and never replaced, it appears yours may have been just disconnected.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-24-14 @ 5:42 AM

svmsr1044    -- 06-27-2014 @ 11:29 AM
  Thanks for the great info and pics to answer my question about the '40 stabilizers! Sorry for the delay in my response, just returned from Eastern National in Gettysberg. Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7445