Topic: 39 DeLuxe, uneven acceleration when hot

Classic1    -- 06-16-2014 @ 12:13 PM
  I have a newly acquired 39 Ford DeLuxe Fordor. The car runs great when starting from cold. After about 45-60 minutes of running, acceleration becomes very choppy and hesitant. Slow acceleration seems to be ok but if you're trying to get on the highway, it can be a real problem. If the car cools, everything goes back to being ok. If I make a stop, i.e., for gas, and start up again, it is worse than ever. The bucking/hesitation happens in all gears and does not seem to be affected by turning. Once again, mainly seems tied to engine heat. The car has a fuel line pressure regulator that is set at 3 psi. I have also replaced the short fuel line flex connection. Running a newer Stromberg 97 carb. Any ideas on where I should start looking? I'm new in this game and would appreciate any information that you'd like to share. Thanks, Steve

This message was edited by Classic1 on 6-16-14 @ 1:07 PM

supereal    -- 06-16-2014 @ 4:02 PM
  Sounds like you have an original coil. They falter when they get hot and mimic a fuel problem. When you stop, the "heat soak" makes it worse. I have a bunch of original coils we bought for use as cores, and all of them produced the problems you mention. If yours hasn't been rebuilt, I'd send it to Skip Haney. His phone is 941/505-9085. He is a good reliable source.

Classic1    -- 06-16-2014 @ 9:16 PM
  Thanks, that is the one thing that actually makes sense. The previous owner supposedly replaced the coil but I have no way to vouch for the quality since the coil appears to be unmarked. This is definitely worth looking into. Got a source for a good quality replacement?

40 Coupe    -- 06-17-2014 @ 3:56 AM
  Before replacing the coil, you may want to change the ignition condenser first, they also act up with the same symptoms. NAPA sells a fairly good condenser FA-49.
The 39 original coil (1937-41) can be rebuilt (red brown or black in color with Ford script on the top). Yours may already be. If you remove it and look at the underside the re-builder etches a date with an electric pencil. Skip Haney does rebuilding of coils, he is in Florida. You can find his ad in the V8 Times.

joe b    -- 06-17-2014 @ 5:39 AM
  George "Skip" Haney
29436 Taralane Drive
Punta Gorda, Fl. 33982 1-941-637-6698
Very good work.

TomO    -- 06-17-2014 @ 6:22 AM
  I agree that it sound like a spark problem, but I would check for a good 1/2" blue spark while idling. If you have the good spark, then check that a sufficient amount of fuel is getting to the carburetor.

It is always better to try to diagnose the problem before replacing parts. The part that you put in may be worse than the one that you took out.

Tom

Classic1    -- 06-17-2014 @ 8:54 AM
  Yes, I'm not sure about the coil authenticity. The previous owner reports that he replaced the coil. Upon inspection, there is no Ford logo on the top. It is just blank where the logo should be.

'39 DeLuxe Fordor

Classic1    -- 06-17-2014 @ 4:34 PM
  Here's a photo of the coil. No logo, does that mean it is most likely an aftermarket?

Anyone have experience with the Ford licensed coil that Bob Drake sells?

Steve
'39 DeLuxe Fordor

This message was edited by Classic1 on 6-17-14 @ 4:36 PM

Norm    -- 06-17-2014 @ 6:14 PM
  A Skip rebuilt coil is better than new. Send it to him.

trjford8    -- 06-17-2014 @ 8:18 PM
  Check the underside of th coil to see if there is manufacturer. If nothing on the coil it is likely foreign made. Most of the old black ones were from Argentina.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7428