Topic: 36 Ford engine?

oakhurst    -- 06-05-2014 @ 10:11 AM
  I have a 36 phaeton that we believe is very original. It starts and idles nicely. Plenty of vacuum, rebuilt the 94 Holley, distributor done by
"professional" but it lacks power under load. (going uphill) and sometimes backfires through the carb. Compression is 75 on the corners and 60-64 on the four center cylinders. Have not done a leakdown. Timing too advanced? What is the engine
designation if it is original and how can I check and modify the timing.
My previous flathead was a 53 Ford I had in 1959.

ken ct.    -- 06-05-2014 @ 10:35 AM
  First of all you have the wrong carb. on there. But it should run ok if rebuilt properly. Backfireing through the carb will blow out the power valve in the 94.Only takes once. It could be a dist problembut you say it was pro rebuilt.Sounds more like carb or fuel del. problem. Depends what kind of parts you installed in the carb, China cheap kits have mostly incorrect stuff and poor quality parts. ken ct. Call if you want more help. cell 1-203-260-5945.

JM    -- 06-05-2014 @ 11:06 AM
  Note: I started typing this reply before Ken posted, otherwise I would not have mentioned the 94 carb being wrong again.

Because the distributor was done by a "professional" does not necessarily mean it was done correctly or has not developed problems. A '36 engine would be 221 ci, with 21 studs per head. Water pumps would be up top on front of heads and there would not be any block off plates on front of engine. Distributor would be mounted on front of engine and would look something like a divers helmet. Coil mounted on top of distributor would have a domed top if early or a flat top if late. The Holley 94 carburator is not correct for '36 and if engine has been backfiring through carb,, most likely the power valve has been distroyed. Your car should have a Stromberg 48 carb if very early or a Stromberg 97 if not early. I would suggest posting a digital picture of your engine here so we can see exactly what you have. It is possible that timing gears are not set correctly based on the alignment marks on cam hub, and on timing gears. You would need to remove timing gear cover to check that all marks line up correctly.

John

This message was edited by JM on 6-6-14 @ 3:19 AM

39topless    -- 06-05-2014 @ 3:22 PM
  Had the same problem. Was a sticky valve. That produces a "firing" at the wrong time = backfire through the carb. Sorry for the news but hope your cause is something a lot simpler to fix.
Phil

flatheadfan    -- 06-06-2014 @ 6:40 AM
  Looking at your compression readings I don't think you have a carb problem. You appear to have some serious compression problems. Compression should be around 90 pounds with a plus or minus 5-7 pound variation between cylinders. Associating this with the backfire and lack of power suggests your valves are either sticking, out-of-adjustment or in general need of repairing.

Tom

oakhurst    -- 06-06-2014 @ 8:39 AM
  Great information, thank you. Sounds like I should do a leak down test to see if it is valves. Is the 48 or 97 carb more problem free? Is there a specific number for the 36 21 stud? I hear about 59a or 59ab.

ken ct.    -- 06-06-2014 @ 8:49 AM
  A #48 with a small #48 on the drivers side of the middle section would be correct for early 36.Late 36 would use a #97. 48 is slightly bigger than the 97. Either one would fit and work correctly. ken ct.

keith oh    -- 06-06-2014 @ 9:50 AM
  Try the easy fixes first. With engine running fast idle, dribble MMO (marvel mystery oil) down each throat of the carb. causing a nice smoke cloud the neighbors will love. Keep it running with the throttle for at least 30 seconds. This modern alcohol fuel seems to dissolve old crud and corruption in fuel system and sticks parts such as valve stems.

oakhurst    -- 06-06-2014 @ 3:28 PM
  I will try the MMO tomorrow.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7388