Topic: Soft brakes - 40 Ford Coupe

mgbrewer    -- 06-01-2014 @ 5:11 PM
  I added brake fluid and bled my brakes after my 40 Ford Coupe sat for about 6 months but they are too soft. I can pump up but not to a satisfactory level. Can someone give advice on what to do next? Does it sound like in need of an adjustment, assuming they can be adjusted.

Thanks in advance - Mike

Old Henry    -- 06-01-2014 @ 9:25 PM
  I would certainly start with adjusting the brakes up right. Needing to "pump" the brakes up indicates at least that. If they are "soft" meaning that the pedal doesn't hit a nice solid limit when pushing it down but feels a bit "mushy" that is most likely air in the lines somewhere and they would need to be re-bled. If the brake pedal "fades" when pushed, meaning it hits the limit tight but then slowly continues moving down, the master cylinder is bad and needs rebuilt or replaced.

supereal    -- 06-02-2014 @ 7:59 AM
  I agree with OH. There are several reasons for a "soft pedal". Air in the system is the most usual, as is a faulty pressure valve in the master cylinder that retains enough pressure in the system to eliminate having to pump up the system each time the pedal is pressed. Bleeding an old Ford can be tricky unless a pressure bleeder is used. The location of the master below the wheel cylinders harbors air, requiring lots of fluid to get it out. If your car has DOT 5 silicone fluid instead of DOT3, it is likely you will always have the problem. If you needed to add fluid, check at the backing plates for sign of a leak. We recommend flushing the brake system of a seldom used vehicle every few years to eliminate moisture that pits the cylinders.

mgbrewer    -- 06-02-2014 @ 11:22 AM
  Thank you guys.

I adjusted the backs today and my problem was been solved, thanks to this forum. When the brakes we redone, at time of restoration, they didn't adjust the brakes at all. The good news is when I started the process of finding out why I didn't have good brake action I began with bleeding them and I discovered that the rear brakes had a milky substance. So I flushed the system and started fresh. Today is a good day. Thank you. - Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7380