Topic: Engine oil

'40Tudor    -- 06-01-2014 @ 4:30 PM
  I have a '40 Tudor that has been 95% restored. It is stock and the drive train is original except for the engne. The engine is a 47 Merc block with Edelbrock heads, twin carburetor intake,, Fenton headers, Sromberg #97 carbs, and Mallory ignition. I don't know what else the pistons cylinders etc may have modified. The fellow who restored the car passed away anf Ultra automotive in Milford Ohio who I bought the car from bought it from the restorer's widow. My question is what kind of engine oil should I use?

Old Henry    -- 06-01-2014 @ 9:19 PM
  Ford's recommendation was S.A.E. 30 above freezing. S.A.E. 20 between +10° and 32°, S.A.E. 10 from minus 10 to +10°, below minus 10° add 10% kerosene. I follow those recommendations using S.A.E. 30 in the summer but, instead of the various straight viscosities and kerosene in the winter, I use 10W-30 when I will need to start below freezing.

If by "kind" of engine oil you mean what brand, you would get a lot of opinions on that. Personally, I buy the cheapest oil I can get and it's still way better than anything that existed when these cars were new. I get the NAPA brand but a lot get theirs from Walmart. Other opinions will vary. Some swear by oil made for diesel engines because they have more zinc in them. My research indicates that zinc is not as important for the low pressure valve springs of the old flatheads as some suppose. If yours is modified with higher pressure springs that may be a factor to consider.

This message was edited by Old Henry on 6-1-14 @ 10:04 PM

TomO    -- 06-02-2014 @ 5:14 AM
  Use any good brand of 10W30 oil. They all will keep your engine in good condition for many years as long as you change the oil frequently and drive the car until the engine is at normal operating temperature when you take it out for a spin.

I change mine at least every 1,000 miles and every spring and fall.

Tom

'40Tudor    -- 06-02-2014 @ 12:27 PM
  Thank you very much

Drbrown    -- 06-02-2014 @ 6:30 PM
  Ditto all above. Have only had my '47 for 9 months. I use 10W30 (no filter) but because it sits more during winter, I add MM oil to the gas to help lube the valves .... seems to help. Best resolution: Drive, drive and drive these great engines. The more I drive at hwy speeds the quieter and smoother the engine runs. I use to have what sounded like a small engine "knock" but it has completely disappeared. Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7379