Topic: crab vs 2 piece

46fordnut    -- 06-01-2014 @ 2:24 PM
  i was thinking of changing my 59ab from a two piece cap to a crab style . would anyone know if i can use the same rotor as the two piece ? i know i need to use different clips. stock 59ab in a 1946 ford. also where can i find the parts for this job?

valve covers can't leak if they don't exist .

supereal    -- 06-01-2014 @ 2:30 PM
  Even though the later style distributor seems more comlicated than the crab type, it is an improved version over the '42, which was a one year model. The main problem was that the crab type would falter or fail if sufficient water passed thru the radiator to soak the unit. There is no difference in performance between the two, so going to the trouble to change seems unnecessary

42merc    -- 06-01-2014 @ 4:27 PM
  To answer your question, the crab requires the cap, rotor & the cap hold down clips.
These parts are available from most of the major old Ford parts suppliers.
These parts were used from 1942 thru 1944.
Don't forget the gasket for the cap.
One more thing, Joblot is close to you & a good supplier.

This message was edited by 42merc on 6-1-14 @ 4:30 PM

fsacht    -- 06-03-2014 @ 10:15 AM
  You will want a set of new '42 wires for that cap since the wire for cylinder 3 passes from left side of cap to right side of engine and number 5 passes from right side over to left side. The tube conduits also run the wires differently so 1942 tubes will be helpfull. I have a 48 Merc and converted to crab type cap and just laid out the best routing and banded them together to suit. A neat setup and it works for me. Make sure the wires are secured clear of the pulleys and belts when your done.

46fordnut    -- 06-03-2014 @ 4:01 PM
  i got the right cap for the car the two piece. just need it to be here . waiting on snail mail

valve covers can't leak if they don't exist .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7378