Topic: '36 gas tank fill leak

Grant    -- 05-30-2014 @ 5:35 AM
  K. Bounds wrote a Fuel Tank Maintenance article which was published in the November December 2010 V8 Times issue regarding a drippy fuel tank filler tube leak on a fellow member's '37 coupe.

I purchased a Drake 46-9051 lead washer, and the recommended Armstrong 34-219 wrench, to try to correct an identical problem on our '36 roadster.

The repair procedure seemed simple and straightforward, but the vehicle now has a very bad fuel leak at 3/4 instead of a minor slow drip at Full.

Other than the obvious possibility of blatant incompetence on my part, what went wrong here?

Did the lead washer fail to seat properly or somehow distort when the threaded tube was being tightened?

Should I have used a circular neoprene or nitrile seal instead of the reproduction lead washer? If so, who would a trustworthy supplier be?

In the upcoming repair attempt, should some sort of sealer which is impervious to modern ethanol gasoline be used on the threads?

TomO    -- 05-30-2014 @ 8:22 AM
  Send Kens 36 a private message. He doe not monitor this forum daily and the private message will get to his E-Mail.

Tom

Kens 36    -- 05-30-2014 @ 9:42 AM
  Grant,

I've replied to your e-mail. I believe the key is getting the connection very tight in order to compress the lead washer. When you think it is tight, it probably is not. These are fine threads and you can really crank the pipe down.

Ken

40 Coupe    -- 05-31-2014 @ 4:11 AM
  Suggest you disassemble the neck and look carefully for any pin holes especially under the threaded sleeve. look at the face of the neck where it touches the lead washer and make sure it is flat and without voids. then check the tank side and see if there are additional lead washers in there and clean the face where the lead washer touches. run a pick around the threads to make sure the threads are clear of any rust make sure they look good and are not crossed threaded. before installing the neck use anti-seize and work it into the threads with an old tooth brush neck and tank side, plus under the end of the threaded sleeve. Assemble the neck without the washer and see if you can tighten the neck so the rest of the neck is fairly tight and not flopping around, if so then add one washer and tighten. If not there would appear to be something in the threads.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-1-14 @ 4:03 AM

Grant    -- 06-01-2014 @ 5:46 AM
  Thank you, gentlemen.

I will let you know how repair attempt #2 turns out.

Grant    -- 06-15-2014 @ 11:10 AM
  Update...........

Sorry about the delay in reporting ultimate results here. It took a couple of weeks to figure out where the Armstrong wrench had gotten put.

After locating the wrench, it turned out that Ken was 100% right. The threaded tube could still be moved further.......about 1/4 of a turn.

My error was not getting the connection super-tight to ensure that the lead washer was properly compressed.

The leak has stopped, even when the tank is so full that gas is visible in the filler neck within one inch of the bottom of the gas cap.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with this one.

VT/JeffH    -- 06-20-2014 @ 7:52 PM
  Um, Grant, this isn't what you asked, but...

I'd caution you on filling this tank more than about 3/4. I've seen more than a few of these things leaking fuel all over your fender, as the gas expands during the heat of the day, and as you make right hand turns.

Just my two cents.

Photo shows a '36 that was for sale @ Hershey 2012. Felt sorry for the owner.

-VT/JeffH

Grant    -- 06-25-2014 @ 10:50 AM
  Jeff is right.

Filling to the very very top of the gas tank is probably not a good plan.

The '36 here has faded paint at the back of the left rear fender from fuel leaking out.

And our '51, if filled up and parked on a hot day, gets a spill developing on the left rear quarter panel due to expansion of the gasoline.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7370