Topic: leaking gas tank connection

42wagon    -- 05-27-2014 @ 4:26 AM
  Okay I have a new gas tank furnished by a reputable supplier and I have a new gas line by another reputable supplier. Put them both together and they seem to fit properly but I have gas weeping out at the connection. Can anyone suggest a gas proof sealant to put on the threads of the connector or some other solution for this problem?

4dFordSC    -- 05-27-2014 @ 4:48 AM
  Try some Seal All.

TomO    -- 05-27-2014 @ 6:34 AM
  Talk with the supplier of the tank. You should not have to use any sealant on the fuel line connections.

Either the threads in the tank are not compatible with the fuel line fitting or the inverted flare in the tank is not correct.

If the nut on the line turns in all the way without a wrench, the flare is the problem.

Tom

Lou46    -- 05-29-2014 @ 7:19 AM
  TomO is correct, but sometimes.......I have had good results with Rectorseal in a tube. Do not use Teflon under any circumstances, guess where it will end up.

trjford8    -- 06-01-2014 @ 1:19 PM
  Are you using a compression fitting or an inverted flare fitting? The original tank used a compression fitting. Some if the new tanks use inverted flare. Mixing the two is a recipe for a leak.

42wagon    -- 06-01-2014 @ 1:36 PM
  trjford8
You raise a question that never occurred to me. The gas line is standard Ford with compression fittings on the ends. The boss on the tank is a scr*w*d fitting that accepted the Ford type fitting which scr*w*d in tight before bottoming out.

How can you tell if a tank is designed for a flare type fitting and what is the solution to the problem?
Ted

TomO    -- 06-02-2014 @ 5:52 AM
  It was my mistake, I don't know what I was thinking, but all of the reproduction tanks use a compression fitting as well as all of the fuel lines. The inverted flare is not used at the tank.

The compression nut should not tighten up before compressing the sleeve. If it is, the threads are cut wrong.

Tom

trjford8    -- 06-02-2014 @ 5:59 PM
  42 wagon, you'll need to look into the tank outlet to see if it uses an inverted flare. Most repo tanks do use the compression fitting, but it depends on who manufactured it. I have seen them with the inverted flare and when a manufacturer is making a lot of tanks the fittings can get mixed up in the assembly process. .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7364