Topic: ford 2 door 1933 4 cilinder

tony cicero    -- 02-02-2010 @ 2:50 PM
  i have a ford 2 door 1933 but is a 4 cilinder and i haw to now more information the model B ford cilinder , tanks

supereal    -- 02-02-2010 @ 3:16 PM
  You will have to be more specific regarding the information you need to get a useful answer.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-02-2010 @ 5:42 PM
  hi
that 4 cylinder FORD is a MODEL C,This what they called the 1933 and 1934 4 CYLINDER models,
should have a counterbalanced weighed crankshaft,
I think everything else is the same as a 1932 MODEL B,
You might want pick up some books and do some research
what about posting a picture ?
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN

trjford8    -- 02-02-2010 @ 6:13 PM
  Tony, the Early V-8 Club has published a book on the 33-34 Fords. It'a a great book and will answer many of your questions. You can purchase it off this site(front page) or if you are a V-8 club member you can call the number in the ad in the V-8 Times. If you are not a V-8 Club member you should join. For $35 a year you will get 6 issues of the V-8 Times. It is one of the best magazines in the car hobby that covers Fords from 1932-1953.

CharlieStephens    -- 02-02-2010 @ 11:42 PM
  I agree 100% with 37RAGTOPMAN that they called the 1933-34 4 cylinder the Model C. The “they” however did not include the Ford motor company and when you use this reference you will get three reactions. One group of people will think nothing of it and know exactly what you mean. The second group (I am in this group) will know what you mean but accept the fact that the reference was/is commonly used (probably since Ford had the Model A, then the Model B and then much of the public assumed they would have the Model C). The final group will know what you mean but launch into a lecture that the only Model C in Fords domestic production was made in 1903 and it is not correct to refer to etc etc. These people probably also lecture on referring to the number stamped into the frame as a VIN on vehicles built prior to the early fifties, but that is another story. To save time I would recommend not referring to the engine as a Model C. There are a couple of other things different between the Model B and the Model C engines (opps, I meant to say the 1933-33 4 cylinder engines). The later engine had a shorter water pump to allow for the slope of the radiator beginning in 1933. With the shorter water pump came a shorter crankshaft pulley and a redesigned timing cover to move the generator back. The fan was 4 bladed instead of the two blade previously used on the Model A and Model B engines. The flywheel cover was different. The front motor mount was wider. The generator was interchangeable 1928 through 1934 but the correct one for 1933 had aluminum end plates on both ends. Early 1933 had a solid rear end plate while later ones had ventilation holes. You definitely need to get a copy of the club’s book on the 1933-34 Fords. Definitely keep it or restore it as a 4 cylinder. They were produced in lower numbers and many of them were “restored” as V8’s. Today they will attract as much attention as a V8 at the meets. Look to the Model A sites (such as the Model A forum on fordbarn.com) for help on the 4 cylinder engine since they were commonly transplanted into these cars.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 2-3-10 @ 12:15 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=734