Topic: 8ba running hot

Fred Hanks    -- 05-20-2014 @ 7:22 AM
  my F-1 is running @ 200* and out side temp is 85* ...I have installed new rad, used evaporust to clean block, installed new 160* stats & belts plus advanced timming by 2*....If I drive at low speeds no problem, if I drive @ 65 or more she gets hot...this is a newly installed older 8ba engine. water pumps are ok. Any ideas as to what to do ????

ken ct.    -- 05-20-2014 @ 10:06 AM
  Yes,your close to max. practicle speed for a flathead especially a truck with usually high # rear end gears. Try running @ 55-60. Motor must be screaming at 65+ mph. OMO ken ct.

supereal    -- 05-20-2014 @ 6:35 PM
  Check for an exhaust restriction. Look for a stuck exhaust damper at the manifold outlet, if there is one. Be sure no exhaust pipes are kinked, and that the muffler is clear, without heavy carbon deposits. I'd pull the stats to see if any improvement results. I assume you are running the correct carb for the vacuum only distributor. With a new rad, and the other improvements, it is an odd problem, Fred.

Grant    -- 05-21-2014 @ 3:15 AM
  You might also try checking the vacuum line connection between the carburetor and the distributor. Are the nuts tight and properly seated at each knurled end of the line?

Our '52 Ranch Wagon started running hot after a carburetor rebuild. The problem turned out to be that old metal vacuum line, which was replaced with a nice used one that fitted properly.

Fred Hanks    -- 05-21-2014 @ 6:42 AM
  I am running headers/duals, and they are new ...I will check out the vac line at the carb as it can be moved in & out of the brass fitting.

supereal    -- 05-21-2014 @ 12:24 PM
  Be sure to check the distributor vacuum diaphragm for leakage. A timing light should show full advance. They were good units, but we had some problems with both the diaphragms and the internal springs.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7339