Topic: 1936 16" Kelsey Hayes rims

CLK    -- 05-19-2014 @ 4:46 PM
  I bought four KH rims at a swap meet this weekend. I do have a damaged spoke on one wheel and was wondering if anyone knows where there is a shop that replaces spokes, balances rims and/or conducts an overall run out check before I consider paint and tyre(s).

Many thanks for the responses to date. I have update my profile as advised and am still trying to work out how to get pictures into the Forum. I will get additional info on the rims as requested and post again shortly

This message was edited by CLK on 5-22-14 @ 3:11 PM

David J    -- 05-19-2014 @ 5:31 PM
  No idea on where to send you for the spoke repair but checking true and balance is as easy as finding a good tire balancing machine at a local shop . If your 36 is stock and if you are indeed talking 16" bent spoke kelseys you will need a pretty wild adapter . Wheel attaching studs being on the outer part of the drum on 36's and towards the center hub on 35's . Drums do interchange 35-36 . You may already have the 35 or 40 bolt pattern if spokes look like they will fit .

1934 Ford    -- 05-20-2014 @ 4:42 PM
  David J is correct, the 1936 ford came with a really wide bolt pattern like the early VW's and 1935 was the last year for spoke wheels on the stock drums.
While I think a 36 with wire wheels looks cool, it makes it hard to tell what year it really is. We did a 37 pickup widh the wide 5 drums to accommodate the wire wheels and also tried them on a 40 pickup. Looked great, but be care with those wheels on later 5 1/2" drums, they don't fit as flat and as is safe.
Also the KH wires had 40 spokes, the Firestone & Ford wheels had 36 spokes.

1934 Ford's since 1972

JM    -- 05-20-2014 @ 5:59 PM
  When the name Kelsey Hayes is mentioned most folks immediately think of bent spoke wire wheels, but in fact they also made some of the standard straight spoke wheels for Fords production lines. I know this because I own four original never been restored '35 Fords and some of the original wire wheels on these cars have the "KH" stamped in the rims. I have also read this in books and literature on the '35 Fords.

Regarding the original post, if he switches his '36 over to '35 hubs & drums, those KH bent spoke wheels with 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern will bolt right on. If he uses later hubs & drums, '40-'48 or the new repros, he will need special spacer rings between the drums and wheels to properly mount/support those wire wheels.

John

This message was edited by JM on 5-20-14 @ 6:07 PM

David J    -- 05-20-2014 @ 7:12 PM
  Should mention that MANY 33-34 17" straight spoke wheels are also stamped KH . It would be a good time for the person that started this thread to clarify what his car is as it only states "1936 16" Kelsey Hayes rims" and that leaves a whol-lotta room for the thread to wander in .

CharlieStephens    -- 05-20-2014 @ 8:56 PM
  To the best of my knowledge they didn’t make a Kelsey wire wheel for the ’36 Ford bolt pattern that was 5 on 10 ¼. My guess is that you have some with a 5 on 5 ½ bolt pattern that was used on Ford 1928-1935. You might add your location to your profile and to your post. People won’t spend their time looking up addresses since you are probably on the other side of the country if not the other side of the world from them. A picture of your wheels would help identify what you have. Be sure to do at least a rough check for run out and out of round before you spend the money to have the spoke replaced. Anything bad enough to damage a spoke might have made the wheel unusable.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-20-14 @ 9:32 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7338