Topic: Starting a 1940 ford coupe

40guy    -- 05-16-2014 @ 6:18 PM
  I have an all original 1940 ford coupe with the flat head V8. I am trying to start it but when I do it will turn over about 4 turns and slowly quit until it stop and buzzes. I have but a battery charger on it and set it to 6 volt crank but it continues to do the same thing. I really need some help because the owner of the car just passed away and I am the only one left to keep his cars going. I am thinking that the battery may be shot and its not letting it charge therefore not letting it crank. Please give me suggestions. Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 05-16-2014 @ 6:37 PM
  Have you tried jumping it with another 6 volt car? I would pull the battery and take it to a store that sells batteries and have it "load tested". It usually doesn't cost anything if they think they might be able to sell you a battery.

Charlie Stephens

40guy    -- 05-16-2014 @ 7:08 PM
  I hooked up a battery charger that is for starting, The portable kind on wheels. I set it on 6 volt starting and it turned over a tick stronger like it is suppose to for a coupe turns and then it died down and quit again.

40guy    -- 05-17-2014 @ 6:57 AM
  And if it is the battery what kind is the best to put back in it?

rotorwrench    -- 05-17-2014 @ 7:07 AM
  The 6-volt systems require clean terminal connections and proper wire or cable size for the least resistance to current flow. Cleaning terminals and insuring the correct guage of cable from battery to solenoid/ground & solenoid to starter is a start. The starter may be dragging due to bearing wear or the brushes may be worn down & have a dirty commutator or the like. A battery can be tested with a high rate dicharge test but it is getting difficult to find shops that have any 6-volt test equipment now days. It may be easier to purchase a new battery if it is supect. Good gound return connections are a must too. Starter to block, block to frame, and battery to frame or block all need to be checked.

6-Volt systems have a low electromotive force by design so well maintained circuits are a must. Some folks like the little Optima battery but any new 6-volt battery that fits the box should do.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 5-17-14 @ 7:11 AM

40guy    -- 05-17-2014 @ 8:03 AM
  Everything on the car is correct for the car and concorse. I know everything such as that is correct. The positive terminal won't fit all the way down on the optimum terminal. Could this be my troubles?

TomO    -- 05-17-2014 @ 8:29 AM
  If you have an Optima battery in the car, you need to do a slow charge, 10 amps maximum for 6-12 hours. Using the boost function of the charger can damage the battery.

After you charge it, you can test it to see if it charged up fully, by using a meter across the battery and cranking the engine with the starter. The battery voltage should remain above 5.5 volts while cranking the engine.

The same procedure will work for a conventional battery. Patience is the key to maintaining these old cars.

Tom

40guy    -- 05-17-2014 @ 8:34 AM
  The only time I had the charger hooked up was to crank the engine and I had it set to the start position. Again, it still would not crank the engine but would die and eventually quit. I left the battery in the car with nothing turned on and checked it with a meter and it read a little over 6 volts then I turned the lights on and it fell to 1volt. Do I have a dead cell issue possibly?

39topless    -- 05-17-2014 @ 9:17 AM
  FIRST!!!! You need to charge the battery like TomO says. If it won't hold a charge, go get a new battery.

keith oh    -- 05-17-2014 @ 12:22 PM
  No FIRST!!!! You need to check the water level in battery, then charge.

40guy    -- 05-17-2014 @ 2:54 PM
  I have had the battery load tested and it reads right at 6 volts until the load is applied and then it drops to nothing. Should this be my problem?

This message was edited by 40guy on 5-17-14 @ 5:34 PM

trjford8    -- 05-17-2014 @ 7:54 PM
  Sounds like you found the problem. How old is the battery? They are usually date coded on the top or there may be some documentation in the glove box to give you a hint as to the age of the battery.

40guy    -- 05-17-2014 @ 8:07 PM
  I am pretty sure he has had the battery for around 6 to 8 years. It is a red top optimum battery. Is it smart to put that back or does anyone have any suggestions?

40 Coupe    -- 05-18-2014 @ 3:52 AM
  If you have charged the battery and the battery voltage drops quickly, as low as your saying, when turning the engine over, the battery is BAD! The load test on the battery confirmed this.
The two post on the battery are different sizes. One is larger than the other. Some of the replacement battery cables are not made for + ground so the cable terminals do not fit the battery properly, this may be why the battery cable will not go all the way on to the battery post.

supereal    -- 05-18-2014 @ 5:29 AM
  If the Optima was rapidly charged, it will not hold a charge. You can get the proper info on their web site. Glass mat batteries are great, particularly in old cars, but can easily be ruined if handled like the common lead-acid type. Fast charging will shorten the life of the Optima, if it doesn't kill it altogether.

TomO    -- 05-18-2014 @ 6:06 AM
  Did you charge the battery on a slow charge for 12 hours before you did the load test? If you did, then the battery is bad. You cannot tell if a battery is bad, until you have tried to charge it. Your test shows a dead battery, it could be because it will not take a charge, but you will not know until you try to charge it.

Tom

40guy    -- 05-18-2014 @ 11:29 AM
  I have put the battery on the charger and within about 10 minutes the storage light will begin to blink. What does that mean?

TomO    -- 05-19-2014 @ 3:03 PM
  Is the strage light on the charger? you will have to look in the charger manual for the reason.

Tom

39topless    -- 05-19-2014 @ 4:06 PM
  You must live in the state of Denial. CPR on your battery ain't gonna do it. You need to just let it go. It'll be ok, man. All things come to an end. Go buy a new battery !!!!!!

40guy    -- 05-19-2014 @ 6:12 PM
  It's not a state of denial. The car owner just passed away 3 weeks ago and it's left up to me to keep this car going like it should and I just want to make the best decisions. I am young and I don't know that much about antique cars but I am willing to learn. It was my girlfriends daddy's car that he completely restored so it is very special to me and sentimental. Thanks for the help.

deluxe40    -- 05-19-2014 @ 7:28 PM
  I have two cars with 6v red-top Optima batteries. Both just required new batteries after seven years of service. This was the third Optima for the '40 coupe. The first one also lasted seven years.

You might be able to get a few more starts out of the old battery, but you have to charge it for 24 hours at no more than 2 amps. It sounds to me like you might be hooking up a battery tender (mine has a flashing light) which might be confused by the characteristics of the Optima. That said, it would still be wise to buy a new Optima to save grief later.

39topless    -- 05-19-2014 @ 9:21 PM
  Looks like your girl friend's family picked a good steward for the '40. Keep coming back to this forum for help as you need it. Unlike me, there are a lot of guys here that actually know what they're talking about.
Good luck,
Phil

40guy    -- 05-20-2014 @ 10:39 AM
  You're right it is a battery tender. I do believe it is time for a new battery. This red top Optima has been in this 40 coupe for about 8 years.

TomO    -- 05-21-2014 @ 7:49 AM
  Optima batteries have been known to last more than 8 years, but after 6 years on any automobile battery, you are living on borrowed time. Go to Amazon and buy a new Optima and enjoy the 40 Ford Coupe.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7330