Topic: wobbly rear wheel

j.grif    -- 05-15-2014 @ 8:54 PM
  Had the 36 coupe rear end blocked off the ground and running in gear ,tryin to isolate noise and saw that the r/rear wheel has a slight wobble. Would that be a bent axle,bent wheel? Plan on pulling and greasing
the bearings and switching wheels to see if problem follows.Thanks

ford38v8    -- 05-15-2014 @ 11:13 PM
  Grif, Here's my short list of wild guesses:

Wheel bearing/axle housing
Axle key slop
Loose lug nuts

Check for clues as you disassemble.

Alan

39 Ken    -- 05-16-2014 @ 5:22 AM
  It could be the tire itself; Either defective construction or mismounted.

supereal    -- 05-16-2014 @ 7:25 AM
  All wheels have some "runout" (wobble), particularly spoke type, from years of use. Vertical movement is often due to out of round tires. If a slightly bent axle end is the culprit, carefully examine the keyway near the backing plate for cracks. Straightening bent wheel is difficult, and replacement is due.

Stroker    -- 05-16-2014 @ 11:32 AM
  A bent axle housing will not contribute to wheel run-out.

ford38v8    -- 05-16-2014 @ 12:59 PM
  Bent axle housing? Stroker, what are you smoking? I think the reference was to a bent axle, which if that happened you'd be in deep doo-doo anyway...

I think there once was a Sherman tank that ran over an axle housing. Sadly, the tank did not survive.

Alan

Stroker    -- 05-16-2014 @ 1:38 PM
  Alan: Check your "short list" above. I believe it was you who introduced the axle housing into the discussion. I would certainly concur that it would be really tough to bend a 28-48 axle housing, but even it you did, it wouldn't affect the run-out of the rotating parts. I HAVE bent axle shafts, but usually they just twist off at the inboard end of the key way.

supereal    -- 05-16-2014 @ 4:19 PM
  Easy, old guys. If the housing is bend by a greater degree, axle flexing can result as it tries to compensate for lack of coincentric support. The Ford 3/4 floating system will lose the wheel, tire, and axle end if the axle breaks at the weak link, just at the inboard end of the keyway. There are bolt on wheel safety locks that retain the drum in that event. Given the pace of today's traffic, they are a very good idea.

ford38v8    -- 05-16-2014 @ 10:17 PM
  Dan, I didn't mean to imply a bent housing, I meant a bad wheel bearing and/or bad bearing surface on the housing. The noise grif was tracking could very well be caused by that common problem.

Alan

ford38v8    -- 05-16-2014 @ 10:19 PM
  Bob.... "old guys"? you're older than both of us put together! (kidding)

Alan

Pickup    -- 05-17-2014 @ 7:30 AM
  Everyone is over thinking this problem.
#1 Remove "wobbly" wheel and tie and replace it with a known good wheel and tire. If problem persists than proceed to #2
#2 Remove "wobbly" brake drum and replace it with the drum from the other side.If problem persists than proceed to #3
#3 If the problem persists, then we can think about bent axles and housings.

ford38v8    -- 05-17-2014 @ 12:15 PM
  Actually, Grif just thought he saw the wheel wobble. In actual fact, he had a case of the personal wobblies from the 6 pack he chucked down while thinking about where to look for the elusive noise.

Alan

j.grif    -- 05-17-2014 @ 7:23 PM
  Thanks for the good info from everyone. Will get right on the wheels asap. Really did see the wobble but the six pack sounds good too.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7327